• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Correcting Dealer Paint Damage

Started by BiGMaC, November 17, 2013, 03:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Thanks TOE... I'm a bit embarrassed :yes: ...and far from an expert. It's why I paid a pro to get a pro job...

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Yeah, hopefully you can get away with a 1-step polishing (with a finishing polish) with a Dual Action polisher (like the Porter Cable or Griot's) at this stage, then seal the paint with something like OptiCoat/CQuartz Finest/Four Star Sealant etc.  Or if you are a DIY'er, Collinite 845 or 915 to get you through the winter; not as shiny as sealants, but a bit more affordable.  Seal the wheels too, OR use Plastidip to keep 'em protected.  Wheels off would allow a more thorough job, if you are so inclined.  FlyBy30 or Aquapel or some such product to seal the windshield the windshield.  OC/CQF on remaining glass.  mjhpadi and others can speak to what Adams products would work, they have a pretty solid lineup too.

Basically, wash, clay, polish, seal.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mjhpadi

You guys are spot on.  I can't begin to tell you how much better the finished result will be if you do a paint correction before waxing or polishing.  I get constant comments about how good my car looks, but it really is a lot of work.  I really like to do the clay bar, paint correction (which may take 2 or 3 steps..and a couple of repeats of each step), then I like doing Revive (which Adam says is a Polish, but I think of it more as a cleaner) then use a sealant, and then finally wax.  It is time consuming, but the final product really is worth the work.  Then regularly I will use Quick Detailer or Waterless Wash to help keep the finish looking good, and I really believe it extends the life of the wax...however I normally will wax every 4-6 weeks.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: BiGMaC on November 30, 2013, 05:27:37 PM
Thanks TOE... I'm a bit embarrassed :yes: ...and far from an expert. It's why I paid a pro to get a pro job...
No reason to be embarrassed, i'm certainly not a pro. I have been doing my own work for roughly 6 years but that does not make me a pro by any means.
It's more the tools you use then anything when just a diy guy. The right tools make life so much easier.
Of course the real Pros get products we can't and that of course will show up in the final product, your ride being a prime example of what top grade products and a pro can do to make a car show worthy. :alkashi:
2014 XSport

BiGMaC

Resurrecting an old topic I started. It's not about the CQuart finest... Although at 2 1/2 years ther's still no scratches on the car and I blow dry it as the waster runoff is 5 degrees.... (I do use a foam cannon and pressure washer for a no touch wash

It about correcting paint on your car.... My car was brand new... Sat on the dealer lot almost a year... During which time washing damaged the paint.... Here's a working link to Wills Amstutz's ..(my detail guy).. own write-up of what he did at his detail shop.... In 30 hours with 2 people working to correct my paint/plastic and apply a so far semipermanent sealer... Haven't waxed ever, and decontaminate the paint with Iron-X Snofoam twice a year.  Anyway.... Regardless of whether you hire a pro or DIY... Look close and correct the paint!

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?60364-Phoenix-Detail-2013-SHO-Taurus-Water-spots-sanding-marks-CQuartz-Finest

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock