• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tinting Tail Lights: Which Method Did You USe?

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, November 21, 2013, 07:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QwikSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on November 21, 2013, 07:34:06 PM
Looks great!  How is the brightness on the tails... got any night pics.  This could look great on my tux black one too.

Best I could do without taking her out of the garage...

BiGMaC

I appreciate that!.... raining cats and dogs here.  Thanks for the pic... I love the definition the tint provided on the side marker. 

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

steve142857

Quote from: bpd1151 on November 21, 2013, 03:57:58 PM
Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on November 21, 2013, 02:47:44 PM2013's already has tinted headlights, so I am looking at matching that tint on the tail lights only.

This is not correct.

Tail lights are NOT tinted from the factory.

The attached images were all culled from FMC directly, or Ford Dealership Sales Lots as examples there of:
Mike: if you read his comment again, he was mentioning that the headlights were tinted from factory, not the tail lights...
I would believe they are indeed a bit darker on the recent model...
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

bpd1151

You're right. I misread. But either way, neither are tinted.

Ford wouldn't presume the liability of tinting either heads, or tails from the factory.

Hell, all one has to do, is to go out to any dealer lot for themselves and look.

Back on topic, local company I used to do my heads and tails, used a vinyl film. It wasn't Lamin-X, but IDK what mfg'er it was either.

I mentioned this in PM to dje624, when he posted about his (albeit negative) experience when removing the film from his heads, which he said damaged the exterior surface.

I noticed a bubble in/on one of my assemblies, which I took back to them, and they removed the original vinyl material, w/o any adverse side effects.

Hope that's of some help to the OP.

I've heard of people having used the VHT "nightshades" spray on stuff, but the results weren't nearly as good as with the film.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

SRT82ECOBOOST

It would be of incredible importance if people would just read the title of a thread. I just don't start a thread by saying "Tint: Not just for windows anymore!!!". I use the same methodology that I use for technical writing of a important email or proposal of Subject Heading: Subject Description. I would like to think by posting thread in this manner it actually concentrates efforts to stay on topic and also to help with the ability to search for this thread for future users.
Just to set the facts straight about the front headlights on a 2013, they might not be tinted but they are sure as hell smoked and this is what I want to match with my tail lights.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

bpd1151

Well stated, & agreed. :clap1:

A constant challenge for everyone (in any/every community).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

BiGMaC

So..... Back on point:

Steve's car looks great, mj has it and told us it's easy to install, bpd wrapped his lighjts (even if it was possibly another brand), the website you posted at the start has all the details on light transmission, warranty, comparison with other methods, et.c.  .... SRT, I'm not sure what you'll decide, and I might like a few more testimonials from the community......

but I'm asking Santa right now to put a Charcoal  :coolgleam: SHO Taillight kit in my stocking!   :coolgleam:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

2Canches

Didn't know we was on first name basis. Hello. My name is iJason

Darkside

The Lamin-x does not cut down the taillight output affect any safety issue.  The stock led's are overly bright and remain very bright even after the tint.  Someone mentioned nightshades which I've used in the past and never again.  If one wants to have lights tinted with paint its fairly simple.  Use some wet 2000 grit sand paper to scuff the lights, heavier paper if you want to sand off any numbers on the outside.  Have a bodyshop paint them with a 4/1 clear to black base.  Then have them shoot it with one or two coats depending on dark you want it.  Personally I will eventually go with one coat on the headlights, and 2 or 3 on the tails.
2013 Sho- Livernois tune, cai, stat, H&R springs, Stainless Works downpipes/catback

2009 G8- 447rwhp/411rwtq, Hsv Gts conversion
2006 Jeep Srt8
2003 Mustang Saleen Vert

2Canches

Wow interesting. I have the carp old lights in my f150. I Wish I had bright L.E.D.s

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on November 21, 2013, 09:57:09 AM
Suntek carbonxp has been recommended on another forum.

The Suntek Carbon XP (CXP) does look good on the website.  I couldn't find a place for the end user to purchase it... and I suspect it comes in large rolls for installer use. So you might need someone to sell you a little bit.   A comparison chart is on the website, but Lamin-X is not there.  Really intended for window tint and car bras I think.  Definitely worth knowing about. a good looking non fading and non-metallic (won't interfere with cellphone, wireless, blutooth) film .http://www.suntekfilms.com/automotive/automotive-cxp.aspx

I still think I'll go Laminex, Gunsmoke front and Charcoal tails... the precut is already tested for the curves and protrusions on HL and TL on the car. Just personal choice... and laziness. :lol:

I'd like to go with a brighter LED for the backup lights to go with the 30% reduction in light transmission.  Anyone have a suggestion for a "super bright" LED backup bulb mod?

mjhpadi

I have a pair of LED bulbs that are supposed to fit the '13 backup socket...they do not fit the 10-12's, so I would sell them to you for 20 bucks, I think they were around 20 a piece plus shipping....they are the same bulbs that Geswek used and are supposed to be super bright.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

StrawHatShinobi

I tinted my old truck with a Rustoleum tint, to get the smoke look the overlays create just about makes the light totally invisible.  Luckily it hadn't cured completely so a little gas took it right off.  I pulled out my paint gun and grabbed some clear from a buddy of mine that has a body shop.  Turned out MUCH better, a few coats of that, some wet sanding and buffing and I was happy.  But honestly for the amount of time that took I'd have been better off just getting overlays, lol
'13 Eco screw FX4 - THE56 turbos, AEM Dry flow, MAK DP, 4" exhaust, meth injection, Walbro 450 lift pump, 2"HBS level, 20" Fuel Nuts on 33" Toyo M/T's