• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Unnerving "tinkling" / "clinking" noise from rear (left?) drivetrain...

Started by kageryu, October 27, 2013, 03:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kageryu

So, we have a '11 Flex Limited Ecoboost, ~58k miles. Bought it around 50 as a CPO. Had some issues with stuttering on long acceleration, but new sparks fixed that. Had a hunch that the prior owner hadn't been rotating the tires correctly due to wear differences, put new shoes on and and got everything aligned.

Just a few days ago, I noticed a strange sound like a dangling chain bouncing along pavement from under the car at low speeds. No dangly bits making the sound that way... at first I was nervous about a disintegrated e-brake (fairly common on my prior cars), but it seems we don't have drum-style parking brakes based on some googling I did? So, now I'm worrying it's something worse, like a broken tooth rattling around inside the differential. Noise is definitely rid to movement, not application of throttle, and is louder when moving backwards. Very noticeable at "driveway" speeds, but seems to go away at higher speeds.. which is what makes me think centrifugal force keeping broken parts pinned to the outside of a spinning chamber or something. :(

Anyone seen this before? Going to try to get a dealer appt as soon as I can, but the only one near me without scathing reviews seems to pick up extra business because of that fact, so it may be a few days before I can get in. :(

EcoBrick Bob

My 10' has 65K and so far doesn't have any drive line issues. Could it be a u-joint if it's coming from one side? I'm not good about rotating tires but have had NO weird tire wear issues within my 3 sets of wheels/tires.  Good Luck!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

kageryu

Survey saaaaays... wheel weight!

My very first thought was actually a loose wheel weight, because I saw the stick-on ones inside of the wheel, on the flat surface around the hub & brakes. I checked those on all four wheels, and they were snug.

But, apparently, there was one lurking out of sight on the inner edge of the rim, and it was clanking around. Hopefully someone else sees this and is helped by it some day!

EcoBrick Bob

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.