• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Possible spark blowout?

Started by TouchOfEvil, October 26, 2013, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

They are a range colder, I love them in az :) they may out may not be a great plug in a cold climate

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

I got stuck with a tank of 89 today (it was raining and I didn't want to hunt for better gas) and no more mis-fire.  I think my issue might be due to the stock (revised#) Autolite plugs Ford recommends which are factory gapped.  I didn't reduce the gap.  Will lower gap to .30 or less with my new cooler range plugs like BPD's.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on November 01, 2013, 11:06:12 AM
You can pick up a set of autolites much cheaper locally:
Autolite XP-5364
Just gap them yourself to .025 to .030 (I'm on .025), .030 for stock apps.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=896895
Autozone site is mad and tells me they don't fit...is that just because of the colder range that the site doesn't want me to have them?

Have not done any logs yet just did a little gauge reading for a few mins tonight.
AFR is hitting about 10.7 at WOT. Seems kinda rich, i always thought 11.2 was a good base then work it to 11.8ish so long as no knock?
I'm new to FI though so maybe i'm wrong?
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

Also on the log section for torque it only seems to log one thing at a time? Is there a way to log 3 or 4 items at once or do just need to do multiple pulls for each aspect that needs to be logged?
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

Made some pulls tonight, allot of 40-70 pulls and two 0-100ish pulls.
With the 93 perf tune it's kinda random at times on the timing itself. One pull it hits 19degrees others its maxxed out about 14-15 degrees. It reached 19.5 on one of the 100mph pulls then when it shifted to third or fourth it dropped as low as 9 degrees and built back up to 14 at the high end of that gear.
A/F seems to be as rich as 10.6 and leans out to 11.2 at the highest.
Boost itself never gets over 14lbs at anytime WOT, and it certainly tappers off from about the last 1000 rpms for each gear. It dropped off as much as down to 7.5lbs sometimes.

One thing is clear, nothing is set in stone, each pull yields different boost numbers and ignition numbers while A/F is always rich.

I didn't realize i could add the knock app til after i was home and looking through the settings so i'll try and see about the potential for any knock tomorrow.
Then i'll install the 93 hi boost and see what happens.
I picked up a set of the colder plugs that i will put in after doing some pulls on the 93 hi boost.
I also have 104 octane i can mix in to possibly rule out fuel as an issue.

Any advice at this point from anyone?
2014 XSport

JMR76

I got a couple A/F readings in mid to upper 10's on the stock tune.  10.56 the lowest.  Mostly mid 11's and it would lean out in mid 12's.  This was several WOT runs from different speeds.  I'm not sure I'm logging timing right as it jumps all over so I won't report that.  Knock sensor retard KS only kicks in every once in a while, very little though, on stock.  It's usually when A/F is in 14's at WOT and building boost.  I'm not expert.  Just reporting what I saw on stock.

I'll try the tune later this week once the car gets serviced at Ford for another issue.
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: JMR76 on November 04, 2013, 12:26:02 AM
I got a couple A/F readings in mid to upper 10's on the stock tune.  10.56 the lowest.  Mostly mid 11's and it would lean out in mid 12's.  This was several WOT runs from different speeds.  I'm not sure I'm logging timing right as it jumps all over so I won't report that.  Knock sensor retard KS only kicks in every once in a while, very little though, on stock.  It's usually when A/F is in 14's at WOT and building boost.  I'm not expert.  Just reporting what I saw on stock.

I'll try the tune later this week once the car gets serviced at Ford for another issue.
Mid 12's is a bit lean for FI imo, but mid 10's is super rich. So long as there is no knock present a 11.6-11.9 would be great for making power and staying safe.
2014 XSport

Rich196

Quote from: JMR76 on October 26, 2013, 07:48:04 PM
I just started having some shuddering or slight hesitating running 93 tune.  It occurs about 70% of the time on full throttle above 5K RPM.  The weather here is colder 30s to 40s lately when I noticed.  It only happens at WOT above 5k.  I ran stock tune and 91 tune with no hesitation at all.

I didn't have this problem with the old 93 version, but this one is more aggressive.

I'm no way as knowledgable as others here, but I'm starting to think the tune is running lean on some bad gas or winter mix. 

I guess I'm going to have to invest in a program to start logging to see what's going on.

Hello, was reading your post on your problem with the LMS 93 tune, I'm having the Same exact problem, could you please let me know if you found a solution to it. I have a 2013 SHO with the LMS 93 tune      Thank you very much, Rich

2013 Taurus SHO w/PP, K&N Intake, PPE catted. downpipes, AIS water/meth kit (trunk mounted) ,H&R lowering springs,170 stat, 3-bar sensor, TORRIE UNLEASHED TUNED !!!  12.14 @116mph. Stay tuned for the 11's (with stock turbo's)................

JMR76

I starting logging.  It seems if I'm already moving 30 mph or more and get on WOT, it hesitated above 4500 RPM,  my logging show the timing spark retard is is kicking in.  The fuel actual drops offs then it continues to accelerate then shift. 

I've gone to 140mph at 3/4 throttle without any hesitation, but if I floor it, it shudders above 4500 rpm like like it's losing power.

The strange thing is that if I do stop and do 0-80 mph it seems OK with no retard. 
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

TouchOfEvil

I changed spark plugs to the ones recommended here and gapped them to .25
Doing that the stutter went away except at a 60 punch. It will stutter from 60-65 then it's gone.
But it does not stutter anywhere else.
According to torque and the app for knock detection i do get some from time to time. Mostly at the 4500rpm area but it's usually .5 degrees.
I did get one run it hit twice, once at 4500 and got 2.5 degrees and again at 4800 and got .5
That was the worse i have seen.
However, watching real time data it seems it might just be pulling timing as needed here and there.

I'd also like to note i only get the stutter from a punch. If i hammer it from any other area say 40mph second gear and it shifts into third i do not get the stutter.
I thought about a/f ratio being lean but it's not. Even at a punch it's almost instantly at a 11.3/1 and gets as rich as 10.2/1
Last when looking at my absolute tps it seems i am showing 87.xx tps instead of 100% Is that normal or is something amiss there?
2014 XSport

arttyszka

Evil, I know this isn't any real help w/o data, but the Lund tune is now fixed from this stuttering as far as I know (it certainly is for me).  He said it was in the tune and not the plugs, at least with the 91 and 93 DD tunes.  Their 93 SS tune still hasn't been updated.  From the little I know, one of the factors was the colder temps increasing boost more than expected. 

For me, it got worse and worse as the temps dropped, but with the new tune, and a temp of only 26F this morning, it pulls very smooth from any combination.  Now what happens when Summer returns, I don't know.
2014 Explorer Sport
Lund Tuned | 170 t-stat | K&N Panel | H&R Springs | Coolbulbs.com HID's

EcoPowerParts

I can't help without some data logs to review, I need to see your fuel rail pressure, throttle position, AFR measured and boost.
Instead of logging you can also do videos with track recorder which work really well also.
Something like this:
0 to 95 on new tires with coilovers installed
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on November 11, 2013, 11:11:22 AM
I can't help without some data logs to review, I need to see your fuel rail pressure, throttle position, AFR measured and boost.

Can you post LiveLink Log Configurations so we can all log these important PID's... I have been unable to get Boost and FRP to show accurately with LiveLink II logging software.  Or are you not using LiveLink II?
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: arttyszka on November 11, 2013, 10:59:43 AM
Evil, I know this isn't any real help w/o data, but the Lund tune is now fixed from this stuttering as far as I know (it certainly is for me).  He said it was in the tune and not the plugs, at least with the 91 and 93 DD tunes.  Their 93 SS tune still hasn't been updated.  From the little I know, one of the factors was the colder temps increasing boost more than expected. 

For me, it got worse and worse as the temps dropped, but with the new tune, and a temp of only 26F this morning, it pulls very smooth from any combination.  Now what happens when Summer returns, I don't know.

I'm running the 93 hi boost tune atm. It had to be partially in the plugs though or it wouldn't have got rid of most of it and moved the location of the issue from second gear to third.
It also only has the issue if i do a punch from say 55-60mph. If i start in second or first it doesn't stutter at all.
Did the lund tune act like that?
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on November 11, 2013, 11:11:22 AM
Instead of logging you can also do videos with track recorder which work really well also.
Something like this:
0 to 95 on new tires with coiloversinstalled
Is track recorder another app? Does it have all the things to log it like the video or is that a combo app deal?
2014 XSport