• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Possible spark blowout?

Started by TouchOfEvil, October 26, 2013, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TouchOfEvil

This is my first FI vehicle to own "explorer sport" so i'm new to it but i believe i am getting spark blow out.
I can't tell if it does it in first because the gear is short and it wheelhops insanely bad on the 1-2 shift.

In second gear and third "didn't get into fourth" the car feels like it is sputtering, i could hear what sounded like pop pop pop then i let out. It is a little colder tonight than it had been. The coldest i had seen was 63 degrees tonight when i left it was 55 degrees and it did the stutter and pop thing and it got down to 46 degrees and of course the problem did not go away at any point.
I am running stock plugs but they were gapped from the factory at .30, i did check them to verify the gap.
I'm in louisiana so i'm sure my climate and da are way off compared to anyone up north.
Does this sound like spark blowout? Or is it something else?

Current mods are as follows:
Drop in k&n filter
170 t-stat
3rd cat delete
magnaflow x-pipe with mufflers
livernois 93 hi boost tune

Any help would be great.
2014 XSport

mhenne4

Not sure, but where are you at in Louisiana?  Im in Shreveport
2011 Silver SHO with PP
LMS Stage 4+

05yellowgt

Spark blowout is going to feel like the motor is intermittently lose power and if you can monitor boost you will see it flutter in some cases too. Detonation is the marbles in a can sound coming from under the hood. I would also describe it as a static sound on an otherwise quite phone line or radio station.
2010 Ford Flex Limited w/Ecoboost- SOLD
2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew 6.5ft bed Ecoboost w/3.55

EcoPowerParts

I saw your pm but I just got done ruining a wrestling tourney.  I'd suggest doing some review with torque if you have a obd2 adapter

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

JMR76

I just started having some shuddering or slight hesitating running 93 tune.  It occurs about 70% of the time on full throttle above 5K RPM.  The weather here is colder 30s to 40s lately when I noticed.  It only happens at WOT above 5k.  I ran stock tune and 91 tune with no hesitation at all.

I didn't have this problem with the old 93 version, but this one is more aggressive.

I'm no way as knowledgable as others here, but I'm starting to think the tune is running lean on some bad gas or winter mix. 

I guess I'm going to have to invest in a program to start logging to see what's going on.
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on October 26, 2013, 06:08:08 PM
I saw your pm but I just got done ruining a wrestling tourney.  I'd suggest doing some review with torque if you have a obd2 adapter

I have no idea what that is? I have my connector to run the hptuners box but i don't have Ford support, always ran chevy til now.
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

I'm in Walker, not far from baton rouge.

It's like a stutter with a pop sound that is like a misfire. It's not detonation. I know what that is like. It certainly is down on power while it occurs. Mine was doing it over 4k in second gear last night.
I took it out today, it was about 74 degrees and i was still getting it here and there but not nearly as pronounced.
2014 XSport

JMR76

Does it happen only on the 93 tune?  That's the only time I get the hesitation and power loss at high RPM.  I also have my plugs gapped at .030 and 170 thermostat, but mine did it before and after gapping.  To me it did feel like spark plugs, but it went away when I flashed to stock and even 91 tune.  I went back the the 93 high boost tune and got the hesitation again once in a while. I don't know, but could it be the knock sensors kicking in?

I didn't here a pop, but it definitely cuts power.  Just for note, I accelerated to 130 mph 3/4 throttle the other night and had no problems, but if I floor it, I will get the hesitation around 5k RPM at any speed.
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: JMR76 on October 26, 2013, 08:56:41 PM
Does it happen only on the 93 tune?  That's the only time I get the hesitation and power loss at high RPM.  I also have my plugs gapped at .030 and 170 thermostat, but mine did it before and after gapping.  To me it did feel like spark plugs, but it went away when I flashed to stock and even 91 tune.  I went back the the 93 high boost tune and got the hesitation again once in a while. I don't know, but could it be the knock sensors kicking in?

I didn't here a pop, but it definitely cuts power.  Just for note, I accelerated to 130 mph 3/4 throttle the other night and had no problems, but if I floor it, I will get the hesitation around 5k RPM at any speed.

Kock sensors don't cut power in a stutter pattern, they kill timing but it wouldn't be such a drastic feel to it. I've fixed issues like that on my truck and it's certainly not the same feel.

I have not tried other tunes yet. If it does go away with other tunes thats good it went away but i'm looking for more power not less so good yet bad at the same time.

I too can give it part throttle and have it get to 5kish with no problems but WOT and it cuts out.
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on October 26, 2013, 06:08:08 PM

Ok so i did a bing search to see what Torque was. I do not have a ob2 adapter that would work in that manner. I do see that the PLX Kiwi seems to be a decent unit. It's not too pricey at 80 bucks i could pick one up. Any reason not to go with that unit?
Once i get a unit what would you suggest i look for in the program to determine the issue?
2014 XSport

JMR76

I'm going to try the dash command app first and if that doesn't work I'm going to try Scan XL.  Torque would be next for me.  I would be interested to find out what the issue is just as much as you.  If I find out, I'll post it,

EcoPowerParts

That one rocks or the 15 one on ebay. Start logging afr, throttle actual, boost and timing

www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

EcoPowerParts

Btw, I've been in and out all day no real time to respond completely.

www.ecopowerparts.com -

TouchOfEvil

JMR76 If you do please post, would be awesome. I'll certainly do the same if i figure it out.
No worries 4DRHTRD, you have given me a place to start!!!!
2014 XSport

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: JMR76 on October 26, 2013, 10:39:22 PM
I'm going to try the dash command app first and if that doesn't work I'm going to try Scan XL.  Torque would be next for me.  I would be interested to find out what the issue is just as much as you.  If I find out, I'll post it,
Ok, so i took the sport out tonight....well at 3am, lol.
I was running the 93 hiboost tune and was getting the stutter issue.
I retuned it to the 93v2 tune and the stutter is gone.
To me it feels just as strong as the 93 hiboost tune. I had the tune in for about 5 days before i started getting the stutter issue.
It was colder out tonight at about 45 degrees so maybe it feels as strong only due to colder temps.
I do know that i had not tried to launch since it was stock and a 1800rpm launch seemed best while stock. Higher just made it bog then go.

Did some toying around with it tuned, 1800 pretty spiffy out the hole.
2k and it lights up the tires and moves out.
2200-2400 "whatever the cutoff rpm is when applying the brake" it will destroy the tires. I don't know if it's only spinning the fronts or all four but it blows em off without any hesitation.
Gonna need better rubber for sure.
Oh and the 1-2 shift still wheelhops like a mofo.

I can't help but think the hiboost tune is causing spark blowout hench higher boost does that or that in the colder temps and lower DA of La. it is running into issues of being the 2bar unit vs the 3 bar.
Then again i could be way wrong, lol.

Suggested rubber for the Sport? Stock is 255/50/20 so kinda a tall tire.
2014 XSport