• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Transverse Intercooler discussion

Started by bpd1151, October 21, 2013, 05:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Interesting idea... Mike and I have contemplated this location... but it will take removing the entire front clip to find out about the space.

Since each turbo has a dedicated IC inlet nipple I guess there would have to be 2 Y hoses for this setup. I can tell you that under the hood it gets tight real quick in the SHO 

By "chipped" I take it you mean tuned.... Yes, without a tune it likely wouldn't make any difference in boost/performance due to the SHO torque based algorithms... boost level would have to be commanded to be increased.   Why?... As I understand it (don't claim to be an expert at all) The torque could likely be generated at lower boost with cooler (denser) air so the ECU would not normally ask for more boost (to make the air denser by compressing it more)... Dj saw this in winter driving as opposed to summer driving when watching boost levels...  The tuners explain it better.  Whether the 1-2psi drop in pressure across the dual IC setup is an IC volume thing or due to better air cooling IDK.  I also wonder if this pressure drop and increased space could over-stress the OEM turbos... again IDK

I do think this kind of setup could be an answer and be exploited to the benefit of increased performance

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

adamantium

Sorry my alter ego is in the VW/ Audi community and we always referred to a tune as being chipped. Old habits. Also the reason I remembered the twintercooler setup.
2013 Explorer Sport. Stock for now.

adamantium

Ultimately water to air would be the best choice for tight spaces but I also understand the appeal of air to air for it's simplicity since it doesn't have a pump or water to worry about and just works.
2013 Explorer Sport. Stock for now.

BiGMaC

Quote from: adamantium on March 15, 2014, 01:26:54 AM
Ultimately water to air would be the best choice for tight spaces but I also understand the appeal of air to air for it's simplicity since it doesn't have a pump or water to worry about and just works.

I agree whole heartedly... my wish is water to air... but space available (size of the IC) vs. efficiency (performance) and tempered by cooling airflow availability (volume per unit time) will ultimately make the decision... Still I love the idea and kudos for the find!  :beer2:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

panther427

Unless something major has changed A2A is more effcient that A2W from what i have learned
2013 SHO

J-Will

I quickly did some digging, and came up with none of the pictures  I was looking for... however, back in my fbody days, folks experimented with horizontally mounting the intercooler under the engine bay.  I do not know how effective this was at cooling.  Some even cut into the wheel wells, and had twin intercoolers albeit they were smaller intercoolers.

Just thinking outside of the box
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

kinder

K, I may have missed some threads here but what is hard about the AWIC set up? I have had not had issues with them before. As for room... relocate battery and air box? Replace the factory intercooler with the AWIC heat exchanger? As much as we know CAI kits don't really help they do allow for making up some room under the hood. ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

SHODYOU

I have a bunch of nitrous parts laying around from my Mustang's previous build... ive thought about doing a custom IC spraybar setup hooked up to a WOT switch.
This would def help its efficiency, just not sure I can get it in there seeing that its sandwiched in there like that.

People who've had front end apart, what say you?
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

MDesign Performance

I contemplated swapping the intercooler, if I were to do it I would check out mounting 2 individual intercoolers to each turbo, similar to what the 300zx. I did a quick search and came upon the intercooler kit below, 2 smaller intercoolers would be easier to fit instead of 1 large one. It also seems to be rated for 650hp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Intercooler-Kit-Nissan-300ZX-CZ32-GZ32-VG30DETT-FMIC-Fairlady-Filter-/131017002450?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I plan to hopefully fab something up to swap intercoolers mainly due to the water that some people are finding in their EcoBoost intercoolers (mainly the F150 crowd though other vehicles have been plagued as well). My plans are to start with a intake system and then free-flowing exhaust from the down-pipe back to help the car breath more efficiently. After those breather mods are done a reworked intercooler setup with data logged/dyno tuning should make a noticeable difference due to the ability to tune more aggressively.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: Spartn27 on May 09, 2014, 10:39:27 AM
I contemplated swapping the intercooler, if I were to do it I would check out mounting 2 individual intercoolers to each turbo, similar to what the 300zx. I did a quick search and came upon the intercooler kit below, 2 smaller intercoolers would be easier to fit instead of 1 large one. It also seems to be rated for 650hp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Intercooler-Kit-Nissan-300ZX-CZ32-GZ32-VG30DETT-FMIC-Fairlady-Filter-/131017002450?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I plan to hopefully fab something up to swap intercoolers mainly due to the water that some people are finding in their EcoBoost intercoolers (mainly the F150 crowd though other vehicles have been plagued as well). My plans are to start with a intake system and then free-flowing exhaust from the down-pipe back to help the car breath more efficiently. After those breather mods are done a reworked intercooler setup with data logged/dyno tuning should make a noticeable difference due to the ability to tune more aggressively.
Just FYI the water issue doesn't happen to the Flex/SHO/MKT/MKS as it's sandwiched between radiator and A/C condenser. I also think you're going to have a hard time find a place for two air to air intercoolers. :)
Making the IC more efficient in a cold/damp environment will bring on condensation issues not abate it.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

panther427

What about just as good after market direct fit.  A bar and plate style with better inlet and outlet tanks.  There is room to improve the stock inter cooler.  Even the connection on the inlet side under the air box could be much better.. most after market diesel inter coolers are basically the stock size. Sometimes a bit  thicker but most of the improvement is from better flow and pressure drop.
2013 SHO

yowen

Quote from: panther427 on May 12, 2014, 10:49:30 AM
What about just as good after market direct fit.  A bar and plate style with better inlet and outlet tanks.  There is room to improve the stock inter cooler.  Even the connection on the inlet side under the air box could be much better.. most after market diesel inter coolers are basically the stock size. Sometimes a b*tch thicker but most of the improvement is from better flow and pressure drop.

Lol didn't realize that b*tch was a unit of measurement. :P
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

panther427

2013 SHO

13-SHO

Quote from: panther427 on March 15, 2014, 01:48:47 AM

Unless something major has changed A2A is more effcient that A2W from what i have learned

Coming from a modified and A2W intercooled GTP I would agree. The holy grail for the GTP crowd was to figure out how to make a A2A intercooler work with an Eaton SC. A2W was okay (drop temp by 50-150 degrees depending on size) but efficiency was poor and you could heat soak them easily on a track day. Once that happens you are sitting, while you run the pump and the fans cooling the water down.
2013 SHO No mods... yet
2004 Grand Prix GTP Compg - Too many mods to list impossible for me to launch. I still miss her....

ThePresidential

Theres plenty of room to fit a big intercooler, once the stock ic is removed move the condenser in its place, cut some of the front crash bar, if you still need more room put a custom mesh grille forward more.

Im gonna run 2 separate smaller ICs for each turbo, you could have one above the other to the right of the radiator freeing up more air flow to your radiator, and join them after the ICs. The smaller ones have 3-4.5
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |