• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Transverse Intercooler discussion

Started by bpd1151, October 21, 2013, 05:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoslow

Guys, I'll see what I can do. I'll take my car to the shop hopefully this weekend and see if any of the cores there will fit. I have a unmodded 2013. Was going to order some stuff from livernois way back, but some issues caused me from pulling the trigger. I need to stop playing around and get to modding. I'll try to report back this weekend.

Strong first post, I know.

bpd1151

Having had the front bumper cover off numerous times, my opinion only, is that since any option would be custom to begin with.....

There does seem to be enough room behind the front, upper grille, above the actual bumper.

Those that have the 2013+ PP option, or for those who have retro fitted the Aux Tranny Cooler in pre-'13 model years, designing anything below the front bumper is not an option due to the Aux Tranny Cooler being in the way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: bpd1151 on January 31, 2014, 11:17:52 AM
Having had the front bumper cover off numerous times, my opinion only, is that since any option would be custom to begin with.....

There does seem to be enough room behind the front, upper grille, above the actual bumper.

Those that have the 2013+ PP option, or for those who have retro fitted the Aux Tranny Cooler in pre-'13 model years, designing anything below the front bumper is not an option due to the Aux Tranny Cooler being in the way.

Mike I'm going to disagree again, there's only enough room for maybe a 200HP core there, it will be shiny pretty pretty but not efficient. You need a good sized area to be able to get a big enough core in there. Maybe if you hacked out the bumper support massively it could be done.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

bpd1151

We can agree to disagree.

Love 'ya.

Smooches. :wub:

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: bpd1151 on January 31, 2014, 11:22:22 AM

Love 'ya.

Here's some core sizes and HP that they support. Remember you'll have to weld on end tanks that will increase the size about 4-6" (at least) for piping.
Don't forget about the depth either, you'll need some area front and back to fit it. Also blocking the 80% of the intercooler with bumper mask doesn't help either.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/intercoolers

Hate to see people spend money on an intercooler upgrade and not get a real benefit, an air to air bumper area intercooler is going to be at least 1200 if not closer to $2K due to piping, fittings, intercooler, brackets etc. Would suck to spend that and pick up 10HP....
With Bigmac's help by using his car after the downpipes, hot pipes and cold air we can look at creating a water to air kit which would be much more efficient and offer bigger results and support higher HP in the long run as well.
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

BiGMaC

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on January 31, 2014, 11:27:37 AM
Quote from: bpd1151 on January 31, 2014, 11:22:22 AM

Love 'ya.

Here's some core sizes and HP that they support. Remember you'll have to weld on end tanks that will increase the size about 4-6" (at least) for piping.
Don't forget about the depth either, you'll need some area front and back to fit it. Also blocking the 80% of the intercooler with bumper mask doesn't help either.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/intercoolers

Hate to see people spend money on an intercooler upgrade and not get a real benefit, an air to air bumper area intercooler is going to be at least 1200 if not closer to $2K due to piping, fittings, intercooler, brackets etc. Would suck to spend that and pick up 10HP....
With Bigmac's help by using his car after the downpipes, hot pipes and cold air we can look at creating a water to air kit which would be much more efficient and offer bigger results and support higher HP in the long run as well.

My wife's gonna kill me...  :chop:  It may be worth a look... something creative like a "scoop" in the lower soft "air dam" (the one we destroy on curbing) and a mounting behind there.. maybe short vertically and the width of the car....who knows. I agree that it's tight and may not work.  I also agree that $2K for minimal gain would be just "modding 'cuz I can", an expensive and fruitless endeavor

I'll stay open minded for now.

BTW.... do folks remember when we could raise the hood of a car, crawl in the engine compartment and stand on the ground beside the engine to work on it?....

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

panther427

Well i do want a front mount.. And if we could get the fueling system figured out. Then for the people using Water meth can go back to using a 50/50 mix and use it for its extra fuel and chemical intercooling benifit.

Still a slighly undersized IC that is mounted to get good air flow would still do better than the factory IC.
2013 SHO

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: panther427 on February 02, 2014, 04:01:01 PM
Well i do want a front mount.. And if we could get the fueling system figured out. Then for the people using Water meth can go back to using a 50/50 mix and use it for its extra fuel and chemical intercooling benifit.

Still a slighly undersized IC that is mounted to get good air flow would still do better than the factory IC.
Fueling is ready if you want to cut your wiring harness to stock fuel pump, I can sell the upgraded pump setup now if people want them.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

shoslow

Didn't get a chance to get into the shop this weekend. Got called into work this weekend. Hopefully this coming weekend though.

adamantium

Not sure how much space you guys have on the SHO, but what about a smaller intercooler in the lower grill that supplements the factory one. Forge makes one that works well on the 2.0t vw.

There is a factory intercooler buried between the radiator and ac condenser on those cars similar to the ecoboost. The boost hose makes a Y and goes through both intercoolers increasing the cooling capacity. Just brainstorming.
2013 Explorer Sport. Stock for now.

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

BiGMaC

Might work smaller... but the sensors for autopark and ACC are behing the plates lateral to the lower grill.  If memory serves 4DR was talking to a manufacturer... maybe he'll chime in here.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

There will also be more of a pressure drop through two intercoolers.  How that would relate to the benefit is questionable. IDK

adamantium

The only addition piping is the Y hoses going to the extra front mount. That's normally a single hose to the factory intercooler. Everything else is factory setup. Looks like a lot because they changed all the other hoses to silicone. I think they are getting 1-2 psi drop with 20* lower peak temp IIRC. This is on a chipped vehicle of course.
2013 Explorer Sport. Stock for now.

Josephm

whats the cost on these for there platform?
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete