• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Transverse Intercooler discussion

Started by bpd1151, October 21, 2013, 05:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoBrick Bob

Seriously...  4DR, when I removed my stock grille and installed the Carriage works one, I removed a big plastic grille back panel.  The Carriage works grille also sticks out slightly farther than stock 3 bar Ford grille.  So, I'm wondering if it might be possible to place the Air to Air intercooler a bit higher and behind the top grille.  Will check out space when I get to FL where I can work without a snow suit and gloves.  Thinking there may be space for the 500 hp unit.

Which of the water to air units are you considering to go where the stock CAI fits?
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

bpd1151

Similar to EBB.....

When I removed my factory grilles (both upper & lower) and swapped them for (what was at the time ---Mobsteel) custom grilles....

I too removed a good size chunk of all that plastic crap from the factory set up.

I just recall off hand, due to the fact I've had my front clip off multiple times at this point, that there was / is a "decent" amount of room behind that upper grille area, just atop the front bumper.

I'd be inclined to think that something could be fab'd for sure, & installed in that location.

I would say w/e vendor does decide to take on the project, that they should just automatically calculate for those SHO owners rocking the PP Pkg from the factory, as those include the Auxiliary Coolers, in particular the Aux Trans Cooler which takes up the space in that lower grille opening / area.

Not to mention, there may be other goof balls out there (besides me) who have the NON-PP Pkg from the factory, but retro-fitted those Auxiliary Coolers, so my lower grille opening is occupied.

I'm out clothes shopping with my 12yr old at the moment, & taking her out to dinner after that, so i'm not home....

However, where is AMR's facility located out of curiosity?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

FracaSHO

I believe the aux oil and trans coolers weren't added until 2013, due to the fact they were added for the police cars. I don't believe the 2010 to 2012 SHO's with PP have the oil and trans cooler. I hope in wrong.  That would be 2 less things to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

EcoBrick Bob

True, but some people added them to their earlier vehicles.  Personally, I need a tranny cooler.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

bpd1151

FracaSHO..... you are correct.

However, EBB got my point directly.....

There are gonna be, if not quite a few who have already, added that Aux Tranny Cooler, & the Auxiliary Oil Cooler.

I can't even begin to tell you how much both of those have helped me in my own application.

Much like I believe having (some company) fab up an upgraded intercooler for our cars.

If not, y'all should pay close attention to the developments 4DRHTRD is undertaking in the water/air cooler option.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

TouchOfEvil

Nobody loves the sports. =[
i need a intercooler too!!!!!
2014 XSport

FracaSHO

Problem with air to air isn't just having the room to fit, it needs to be in the right spot to be at its full potential. 

Can anything be done to the factory intercooler to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

Josephm

A top mount with a hood scoop would be an interesting option but not the best option..
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

AMR Performance

Quote from: bpd1151 on October 24, 2013, 07:45:44 PM

However, where is AMR's facility located out of curiosity?

We have 2 locations.

NY & CT

-Robert

bpd1151

Yep, finally got onto an actual notebook and looked up your info.

For anyone interested, particularly you SHO owners on the far East Coast.....

Please visit AMR's website ------> http://automasteramr.com/about/

By providing AMR staff with your vehicle for testing and/or design work of a hypothetical, proposed intercooler upgrade, this will likely prove beneficial not only to you as an individual donor, but also the SHO community overall.

Thanks AMR for considering this potential product, and hopefully someone here steps up and contacts your company to work out the particulars.

Mike :beer:

casperl878

68_GT

AMR,

If you build it we will....

buy it !!!!!

Assuming the benefits justify the cost and effort of the upgrade. I love the idea of a simple intercooler swap since if probably wouldn't really effect the car in any other way other than to just add power.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

BiGMaC

Great opportunity!! Thanks bpd and AMR!

If the "/about" link is dead... just use http://store.automasteramr.com/ to get the site

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

281Thunder

Quote from: Josephm on October 25, 2013, 01:21:40 AM
A top mount with a hood scoop would be an interesting option but not the best option..

It works well on the Subaru's since they have room behind the top mount for airflow. I think our engine bays would be too cramped to fit the intercooler, and have good airflow across it.

What about running two smaller side mount intercoolers like you see done in aftermarket setups on...I wanna say Vettes?
2011 SHO

Josephm

That is a lot of piping though.

Thinking an inter cooler for each turbo? Is that possible?
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete