• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Electrical Extension -- YEAH

Started by geswek, September 29, 2013, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geswek

I need to extend my 12V powerconnect cig lighter thingy for my SiriusXM receiver in the car -- can I just cut it and solder in longer leads and wrap it? Anyone think of reason this wouldn't work? It's what I would do normally with anything else versus trying to hard-wire it. I have a cigg plug in a hidden compartment about half way down my center console next to my aux in that would be perfect (another reason I dont want hardwire).

One reasons I don't want to hard wire is that I rather not pay $20 bucks for a stupid 5V converter as the receiver doesn't take 12V; it's converted down to 5V in the powerconnect receiver.

PS, this has nothing to do with SHO, it's for RX8.

crash712us

I see no reason why you couldn't, radio shack or online may have extension cords for 12v outlets.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

Boggus

You can always get an extension, cut the end off and hardwire that. You can now have a cig plug anywhere in the car where you want it.  Then plug in your Sirius 5v converted power connect thingy cig plug into your extension.  This way you are not cutting the oem Sirius wire and/or extending it.
2013 unleashed SHO PP

geswek

I'm good; I got it in--looks pretty spiffy for those of you who follow me on IG you can see the photo.

My IG name is my username here.

SHOdded

Looks good, Storm!  No need for extension, then?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!