• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

intake to be or not to be

Started by hindi1973, September 27, 2013, 12:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hindi1973

i know their has been loads of thread regarding this subject, But actually no one stays on a statement since ppl still buy intakes for our cars and only a few went custom with flex's and stuff  So the question is since any cold intake system available now for our cars make the car little slower since the iat get higher than stock intake but sounds better , Shall we go with it or not, Its a simple answer with yes or no and why , or shall we wait for a proper cold air intake system .

thanks

EcoBrick Bob

#1.  I tested the AirAid... after I had built my custom CAI.  It is the same part for all of our vehicles.   I use a DashHawk all the time and the AirAid was hotter by several degrees and didn't cool down as quickly once heat sinked.

#2.  Darreli is running the Hennessey CAI.  On the dyno this very expensive item added less than 4 HP. 

The real issue is NOT when a better CAI will come along, but that Ford's stock CAI works damn good!  The cheapest way to get more flow, if that is possible is to add a K & N drop in filter.

Unless you can get cooler air to the CAI, (which is what 4DR and I have done) none really do anything but provide "Visual Fluff"... but nothing wrong with that!  My custom one only cost me around $60.00 ( for the filter and some hoses & clamps) as I had a "J" pipe left over from a RotoFab G8 CAI pipe recall.  It was cheap and it seems to work based on IAT temps.  However, our engine doesn't adjust timing based on IAT temps, but on MCT temps.  That's why methanol helps more, as would a bigger intercooler, or one that is water/air.

FYI... I used my AirAid 3 days and 40 mi, and then sold it.  It did look nice though!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

DJE624

$50 K&N Drop in.  Sounds a little better than stock. Best bang for the buck.

hindi1973

what about the k&n intake system ? so you guys are confirming till this day their is no proper cold air intake available that is worth the money --> performance wise only visual and audible difference. did i read hennessey 's intake system 2600 dollars or is my brain still messed up from the fumes and gases that i suck on at the refinery ??

Josephm

Air raid You build it kit, is one you put together and can fallow other members and put the filter in the fender.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

DJE624

I haven't seen anybody post pictures or results on the U-Build kit here yet.  I looked at the kit at their site but I am not convinced it is worth trying.

BlueSHO

So ditch the airaid  and go stock with a high flow panel filter? Even on a high boost tune?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

DJE624

A few guys have done that.  I have used K&N Typhoons in a couple other cars but have only used the panel in this one.  I think it's the best combo of cooler/more air flow. Never used the AirRaid but it does have a better seal off from the rest of the engine compartment than the Typhoon.  I just don't think $250-300 on an AirRaid is worth any very questionable gains you may or may not get.  But like Bob says, they do look pretty and sound great.

EDIT- Don't know how high you are boosting.  I've only been up to 15.  Might make a difference.  IDK.  I do know that down pipes would be recommended for getting the most out of higher boosts.

BlueSHO

I'll have to see how high my boost is.

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

mjhpadi

I believe that Crash is correct about temps, but I love my Airaid CAI, I haven't experienced any problems related to the intake, and since I don't track the car, the temps aren't really a concern.  I know the "wow" factor when I open the hood and people see the intake, is worth it.  I think it really makes the underhood look much better, so I don't plan on going back to the stock box, but those who have all have legit reasons and I don't have an disagreement with them for doing so.  I know that I put a pre-filter on my Airaid filter and I am amazed how much cleaner the filter has stayed, so it hasn't required cleaning or replacement like a stock filter does.  And most folks here, know I'm not a big K&N fan, so that really wasn't an option I considered.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

mval

I agree w/Mark. Airaid says 15HP. Who knows. But I got the prefilter idea from Mark & it was well worth it. Filter doesn't get dirty at all. I take mine to car shows & if you don't have a CAI, judges don't like it. I was looking for a K&N but at that time they didn't have one. Personally adding silver color doesn't work with my scheme unless the Billet people come out with chrome things under the hood, whereas Airaid goes well with scheme.
MikeV
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: DJE624 on September 27, 2013, 02:51:41 PM
I haven't seen anybody post pictures or results on the U-Build kit here yet.  I looked at the kit at their site but I am not convinced it is worth trying.

That's what 4DRHTRD runs...
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

CooperS7777

Quote from: JeffsSport on September 27, 2013, 03:25:13 PM
I'll have to see how high my boost is.

I see 18-19 on the stock tune; Ill have to see what its running on the Lund SS tune.  That said - Id say you've still got plenty of room to move with a good panel filter.
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR
2006 TBSS "The Van" - Blown 416 LS3
A slew of other boring toys

hindi1973

So to recap all of the information their isn't a very good intake system for the explorer yet that is worth the money ? leave a lone the sound and blingy feeling under the hood . I know for a fact if i was going to do an intake i dont wana lose any hp or increase my temp no matter what . any one has any reviews about the k&n system? not the filter

EcoBrick Bob

What we need is a box that is open at the top but seals when the hood is down, similar to the AirAid, but it needs to be as far over as possible into the area behind the drivers headlamp.  It also needs to have a snorkel that goes down in front of wheel well and has a cutout area to get fresh air from in front of the drivers side tire.

One could likely cut a hole in the side of the AirAid box and add a flexible snorkel.  The design is good, it just needs a source of additional air flow and a cooler air source.

That is how RotoFab designed their G8 CAI's.  Then many of us cut a hole in the plastic panel that parallels the ground behind the bumper cover. 

I also recommend a filter cover that is designed to keep water out.