• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

catchcan

Started by hindi1973, September 26, 2013, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hindi1973

hi guys anyone running a catchcan for the flex or explorer yet , i know alot running on the f150 (UPR) but wanted to confirm if anyone else with an explorer or flex using one .

thanks

crash712us

No not that I am aware of, our motor has pretty good PVC system we've found.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

hindi1973

we might have a good pcv system but blowbacks will still occur and in time messup our manifold , leak in the inter-cooler maybe etc etc , its weird that no one pulled the trigger yet no even on a crankcase vent filter to be located instead of the stock oil cap .

QwikSHO

Just by taking disconnecting my upper intercooler pipe, I noticed a bit of oil on the coupler.   I wouldn't say our PCV system is that great...

crash712us

There are some that run a small breather on front valve cover. For a DI motor the PVC system works better then others. But is it blow by or from turbo's? Which totally normal all turbo's lose some oil.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

EcoBrick Bob

I run the small breather on the front valve cover and have eliminated the hard plastic hose that dumped into the front turbo ( capped the port on intake tube).  I am almost dumbfounded at the large amount of blow by oil on that breather.  Highly recommend one.
Got mine at Auto Zone...

I run catch cans on both my G8's and get an ounce of oil every couple thousand miles.  That oil would be coating the inside of my manifold...EEECH!!!!

In boating terms we call them  PUKE TANKS!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

hindi1973

EcoBrick Bob, can you share a pic so we can see what set up are you running ? i am thinking of running this setup ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L4A1uzBUnk

hindi1973

this is the fifth time i repeat this post and an error occurs i hope they dont all show up in the thread if so sorry for that . here is where i think the catch can should be mounted in the explorer sport but how would the engine cover fit ?

EcoBrick Bob

If you pull that hose off, you will see a nub coming out of the valve cover.  That is where you want to mount the small breather.  It only sticks up a couple inches so doesn't affect anything. I'll see if I can get a pix later.   

Also, a friend on GRRRR8 board is making similar breathers into oil caps.  While they don't fit the EB engine, it would be easy to modify our cap and install the breather on top of it, like he did with the G8 oil cap.  He sells them for $45. and is selling the b'jesus out of them!  Might become a winter project for me!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

hindi1973

ecobrick, i totally agree with you with the idea but i still think running a catchcan is safer,less smell,less headache if by any chance for some reason oil went by the breather and messed up you engine bay, So we just need to figured out away to make the engine cover fit with a catchcan without cutting a round circle on the engine cover ti make it fit , That will cool though ehehehe :P

EcoBrick Bob

On my G8's I mounted the catch can on the strut tower by driver.  I'm sure one could use hose and do the same thing for the front oil breather on EB engine.  The company I got my G8 catch cans is not making them anymore, but there are alternatives for under $100.

I do agree that a catch can would be a better choice than this breather, especially after I see how much oil blow by I am getting. 

What I don't understand is why Ford has a built in a catch can breather in back valve cover and didn't do it in front.  Maybe they think a little oil in intercooler and intake manifold is OK....???????????

hindi1973

some mechanics reply oil is good in the system every now and then drive on the high way keeping the rpm exactly at 4000rpm for 10min , Its a german way of cleaning everything out on the 335i twinturbo and similar engines i read it and heard it some where cant remember (myth) heheheh

Its not only ford when you think of it most cars NA or forced inducted need one and i ask my self why as well, I am sure we will never know  maybe our grand children will :) but for the time being engine valve cover FITS or not i am installing one soon :) hahahah , I had a customer with a sts turbo 370z and he had too much blow backs with no air fuel gauge in time he was running lean from the amount of oil blocking everything and blew his motor.

so since i also wont be driving the family car ( my explorer) and looking at the air fuel gauge and looking in my torque app all the time checking stuff out i dont want that to happen to me , this should be my relaxing car but i am addicted to learning and modding and being safe as possible hehehhe

SHOdded

The Gen 1-2 SHOs certainly needed the catchcan.  Nobody wanted to look inside the intake after a while!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

hindi1973

yea for sure , If someone is convinced our pcv system is pretty sweet the bet is open up ur intake system or even  mani if needed and check it out , I am sure the person will not be happy.

EcoBrick Bob

I am looking at my intake pipe that has the methanol spray nozzle.  The end from the intercooler does not have any oil residue and was on the vehicle for nearly 20,000 mi.

When I scoped my intake after running methanol, it was clean.  Only some minor carbon on the bottom side of the TB.  One small paper towel cleaned it off.