• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5 Intake Manifold

Started by Randy Stinchcomb, October 17, 2016, 03:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Stinchcomb

Since the intake iz aluminum, has anyone done any porting?
I was thinking about picking up a spare intake from a salvage yard and having it Extrude Honed, anyone done this? and yes, I know it would be best todo the heads too, but that ain't happening

FoMoCoSHO

You might want to peek around supersix motorsports...

Rockstar04

When you get into forced induction porting and polishing doesn't matter as much. In an N/A motor you need the smoothest, most efficient path to the cylinder. With forced induction (with some exceptions) you are, well, forcing the air into the cylinders. With the ecoboost motors specifically, you will see much better gains by looking at things like upgrading the turbos, trying to figure out how to cool the air charge (meth or intercooler), and removing restrictions from the exhaust post turbo.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

Randy Stinchcomb

Ok, but it's the wifes truck and Im looking for low-dollar mods that she wont know anything about, and upgrading the Turbos iz pretty much outta the question, plus the truck, 2015 Sport still has a Warranty and although my local Ford dealership, where I worked for 15 years and where We bought the truck from, Im still friendly with the owner, (who got this truck especially for us), parts dept and techs, but I still don't want to Rock the Boat with them.

Thanks again

Rockstar04

I'm going to say, without any real proof, that the stock turbos will not move enough air to warrant having the intake extrude honed. And unless you have a friend that will do it off the clock, from what I've seen, extrude honing isn't exactly "low-dollar"
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

Randy Stinchcomb

Yeah, Im well aware of the cost, I've had them do intakes and heads for me in the past, guess I pass on these ideas till after the warranty runs out

SHOdded

Downpipes will offer better return on investment than intake porting.  Also keeping the MAP sensors clean, LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Randy Stinchcomb

Yeah, I saw them on livernos web site, would like todo the Down Pipes and a Cat-Back.
But sum of that will have to wsit until after I get my GT up abd running