• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Resetting KAM?

Started by Hut1, September 24, 2017, 09:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hut1

Hey guys i'm a newbie to the forum and the tuning world my tuner asked me to reset my KAM after putting in the tune.  I have no idea what that is and  can this be done with my SCT X4 device? if so how? I tried to find it on youtube but not having great luck. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I emailed the tuner but where its a weekend i'm not expecting much, people have lives outside of tuning. Thank you in advanced..

StealBlueSho

Connect your sctx4 to you car, hold the start button until the gauge cluster does a full sweep(same as if you are going to tune it), go to Vehicle Functions -> Special Functions -> KAM Reset -> confirm

It will say reset completed or something similar. It takes a split second to do.

KAM is Keep Alive Memory in the ECU.. so it resets fuel trims, OAR, transmission learning, etc...

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZSHO

X2 ^^ and Welcome Hut1 ! and due setup an intro @ your earliest convenience.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html
http://youtu.be/hZAsoqmqhdM

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Hut1

THANKS for the help, I appreciate it.

Brucelinc

Speaking of resetting the KAM, why would this be necessary after the OP put in his tune?   Brad had me do this once, which I did with the X4, but I never knew exactly why.   I have changed tunes and had several tune revisions over the past few weeks.  Should I do another KAM reset and, if so, why?

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Brucelinc on September 24, 2017, 10:43:50 AM
Speaking of resetting the KAM, why would this be necessary after the OP put in his tune?   Brad had me do this once, which I did with the X4, but I never knew exactly why.   I have changed tunes and had several tune revisions over the past few weeks.  Should I do another KAM reset and, if so, why?

I think it depends on your MY... The 2010-2012 appears to reset almost all the KAM when you do a flash. Hence why my OAR ALWAYS resets after anytime I flash. On the 2013+MY the KAM doesn't get reset on a tune flash. So resetting the KAM maybe beneficial to give the ECU a baseline of 0 to adjust the fueling and transmission adaptive's to settle for the new tune?

I know personally when I switch tunes (which I do a lot of) I ALWAYS do a KAM reset afterwards just to make sure it is starting from scratch for the adaptives. I could all be completely placebo but I feel my transmission does better this way..

Brucelinc

I think it depends on your MY... The 2010-2012 appears to reset almost all the KAM when you do a flash. Hence why my OAR ALWAYS resets after anytime I flash. On the 2013+MY the KAM doesn't get reset on a tune flash. So resetting the KAM maybe beneficial to give the ECU a baseline of 0 to adjust the fueling and transmission adaptive's to settle for the new tune?

I know personally when I switch tunes (which I do a lot of) I ALWAYS do a KAM reset afterwards just to make sure it is starting from scratch for the adaptives. I could all be completely placebo but I feel my transmission does better this way..
[/quote]

Interesting.    I just did it the one time that Brad asked me to.  Yesterday, I removed my E tune and flashed the 93 octane tune since we are taking a trip and I don't want to mess with mixing fuel along the way.  Maybe I should do the KAM reset - although the car runs fine and the transmission seems to behave the same as it did with the E tune.   There should be no harm in doing the KAM reset but I thought all of the adapting would take place as the car is driven anyway.

SHOdded

A KAM reset doesn't go all that deep, primarily it is PCM related.  For the TCM, you have specifically go in and clear the adaptive tables if there are continued issues after a KAM reset, for example.  So there may be many parameters that we don't know about that get touched by the KAM reset that would otherwise be "assumed values" by the PCM.  Maybe Brad can shed some light on where these parameters can be found.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!