• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

My Staggered, TSW Wheel Setup.....

Started by bpd1151, September 17, 2013, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

I continue to receive multiple questions here, whether openly, or via PM, in regards to my staggered wheel setup on my 2010 SHO.

I could've sworn I had transferred this info over from where it was previously posted, but closer inspection on my part, shows that I in fact, had not.

Therefore, here's the info on my wheels/tires:

20x8.5's up front, and wrapped in 255/45 ZR 20's (Continental Extreme Contact DWS's) and the rim's at a 40mm Offset.

20x10's in the rear, and wrapped in 275/40 ZR 20's (Continental Extreme Contact DWS's) and again, the rim's at a 40mm Offset.

I really REALLY love how the rear wheels fill that well, not only from the side perspective, but glance at that ass end shot again, the amount of rubber resting on the pavement looks down right menacing.....

Now I have had this set on my SHO since the beginning of June of 2012.

I have experienced ZERO ISSUES as it relates to the AWD mechanics, and also HAVE NOT experienced any issues when it comes to rubbing and/or bottoming out or anything of the sorts.

I have tracked with this set up, and have also performed limited road coursing, besides the normal routines of my somewhat "spirited" driving habits in/around town and on the local expressways.

I can't recall exactly how much the weight savings was versus the stock 20" rims that came with my car, but if memory serves me correctly, it was like 20+ lbs at each corner.

More on the front (due to the narrower 8.5" width) and less on the rear (due to the wider 10" width).

There's been some debate since the installation of this set up, as to whether or not the reduced weight is/was actually beneficial, or not.

As some of us have crept up into the upper echelon's of the horsepower ranges, there has been some traction related issues, primarily on/from the front axle, as on the SHO's, the power split is like 70% front, 30% rear and is not truly "AWD" as one would think.

Obviously there are other influencing factors at play besides just the weight of the rim/tire combo, but again, debate has since sprung forth.

Not sure what else to add here, other than at some point in the future, I am considering powder coating these wheels in a gloss black so as to better match my overall theme as it pertains to my SHO.

This particular wheel offering from TSW is one of their few "roto-forged" wheel offerings, and as such, the color choices were limited.

More info can be located here ------->

On The Wheels:  http://tsw.com/

On The Tires: http://www.continentaltire.com/www/tires_us_en/

One final note, many thanks goes out to fellow EBPF member EcoBrickBob for his help and assistance when it came to arriving at the proper calculations for this particular setup.

I owe Bob a beer, or two..... or at his age, maybe he's switched over to prune juice exclusively at this point. But either way, big kudos to him for his help.

Oh yeah, here's some useful info/links on various tire/rim calculators that may come in handy for those of you looking to do, whatever it is you want to do, for each of your own rides ------->

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/tirecalc.html

http://kgm.tiwing.com/calcs/tiresizecalc.htm

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireMath.jsp

As always, I hope this information is/was useful. Thanks for reading.

Mike :beer:

Bigfoot

2011 SHO
2013 5.0

SHOnUup

The wheels I'm looking at from TSW come with the "RF" tag also.

You think there's enough room for 20 x 9 up front?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

bpd1151

People have run 20x9's at all four corners, w/o issue.

You'll be fine as far as the front is concerned specifically.

SHOnUup

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 08, 2015, 05:21:21 PM
People have run 20x9's at all four corners, w/o issue.

You'll be fine as far as the front is concerned specifically.
Thank you.

About to pull the trigger on some "Sochi" TSW'S. Maybe....ahhh, need to wait for talk with adjuster tomorrow.

But you never know...lol

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Slantnose!

Looks really good, I was wondering what other sizes would work.
Is your car lowered?
L. Marc Lisner

Wojomojo

I'm not 100% sure if he had them for these pictures (I'm assuming so) but he runs megan coilovers, which are on my wish list :P
Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"

bpd1151

Quote from: Slantnose! on May 22, 2015, 08:17:27 AM
Looks really good, I was wondering what other sizes would work.
Is your car lowered?
Thanks. That's (in relative terms) an "older" pic.

You can tell cuz  the wheels are still in their original matte gun metal finish, front plate is there, hood pins weren't fab'd in yet, & so forth.

Yes, the car was lowered at that time. Strictly on the H&R's. I've since upgraded to the Megan Coilovers.

The biggest I heard going up fronts, are/were 9" wide wheels. Diameters can fluctuate from 18"-22".

All w/o any modification to fenders and/or inner wheel well liners.

Thnx for the kudos.

Still running strong on my staggered set with no issues nearly 4yrs later of DD & Track use.

Sho.time13

I have 20x9 front
20x10  in the rear
Lowered on H&R springs
(Unf. Not a SHO) but you get the idea ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Sho.time13 on May 23, 2015, 08:38:15 PM
I have 20x9 front
20x10  in the rear
Lowered on H&R springs
(Unf. Not a SHO) but you get the idea ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Profile pic please!

CroR1

derfdog15

Sorry for the resurection...

Would 20x8.5 with 38mm backspacing in front, and 20x10.5 with 38mm backspacing in rear work?

With 245/45/20 on the front and 275/30 or 285/30 on the rear?
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

AJP turbo

U need a taller tire in the rear...thats way too short of a tire
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHO T1M3

Quote from: derfdog15 on October 14, 2015, 11:20:01 AM
Sorry for the resurection...

Would 20x8.5 with 38mm backspacing in front, and 20x10.5 with 38mm backspacing in rear work?

With 245/45/20 on the front and 275/30 or 285/30 on the rear?
The aspect ratio is a percentage of the tread width. That being said 245/45 makes the sidewall of the OEM tire size about 110mm vs on a 285/35 only about 99mm. The closest to factory would be 275/40 which is also about 110mm. 285/40 is about 114mm.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

zach_435

im running 20x10.5 all the way around with +25 offset but it wouldn't be possible with out coilovers and camber plates in the front the rear is no problem im also running 255/35

2015 Taurus SHO pp - Megan Coilovers, Ferrada FR1 20x10.5 all the way around, Torrie tune, 3 bar map, Drop in filter
2011 Mustang 5.0 track pack/brembo - 426 whp 420 wtq 12.00 1/4