• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Steering Noise

Started by LipschitzWrath, February 07, 2024, 09:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LipschitzWrath

For several months now, my 14 SHO has been making a steering noise. The noise occurs any time I turn the steering wheel left or right. The vehicle can be stationary or in motion, doesn't matter. The best description I can give for the sound is a grinding noise.

I have not yet noticed any problems or symptoms. I don't feel any feedback through the wheel, nor have noticed any increase in steering effort.

In fact, the only thing I've noticed is that sometimes after sitting overnight or over the weekend, the steering wheel feels locked in place for a second or two until I really pull on it.  After that, everything is fine.

A cursory glance on the underside hasn't shown anything. I've yet to put it up on jackstands and have someone else turn the wheel while I observe.

Has anybody had this happen? I'm guessing the rack has gone tango uniform but now I'm wondering if it could just be the assist unit?

The job doesn't seem hard, just slightly time consuming. How hard is the programming if I install a new rack or assist unit?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

LipschitzWrath

Found this video. This isn't me but this is exactly what I'm dealing with.

https://youtu.be/P7HjppnhjcQ?feature=shared

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

sounds to me like you have your diagnosis per the video.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Sho-gun

2015 PI, AJP, GH Stage 3 41mm turbo's and intercooler, PPE and Corsa exhaust, HPFP, 3 bar, HAI, AEM with EPP elbow and bung, JLT, Tony D. Mounts, 170 thermo,