• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

GT350 15.5" Brake Upgrade

Started by timbo, June 03, 2023, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo

***I had a whole thing in TAPATALK and it totally only left minimal.  Currently doing this on my computer and will upload my original write-up***

Alright, third try as this site likes to reset if I leave for too long.

Generating some interest on FB regarding this as a mounting kit to fit the Mustang GT350 front brakes onto the 6th gen Taurus, Explorer, FLex and Lincoln equivalents.  Looking to keep the cost down under $500 for brackets with mounting hardware.  Add in the fact that calipers and OE 2-pc rotors can be found under $200 per (plus shipping) with 1pc being around $120 per.  Pads are about the same price as ours, so track pads can be had for around $120.  Goodridge hoses will work with these calipers.  So, you can get 15.5" 6-piston brembos onto your car for under $1500.

How this started.

I was looking to upgrade my already "upgraded" brakes on my '11 SHO (used the latter 13.8" brakes in 2015) and started looking for commonalities and easy to adapt stock brakes.  I started looking at the 15" Mustang Performance Brembo setup, but ran into the issue of the Caliper having an internal crossover and no way to really swap the caliper and maintain the correct orientation (pistons are offset).  Saw the GT 350 brakes and realized they have an external crossover tube and the body is symmetrical.  THis means all you have to do is swap the tubes between sides and put the bleeders at the ends that used to have the tubes to keep the caliper oriented correctly with the bleeders on top.  Also, radial mounting allowed me to make a good bracket that would be centered on the original mounting to keep forces in the designed places.  I'm still finalizing the design to ensure it's good and I also ran into another issue with the ball joint hitting the rotor (didn't realize, thought it was a mounting bolt, but those are well within the inside of the rotor).

Here's the biggest issues I ran into and the solutions I'm planning.
1: 10-12 spindles are bigger on top due to the pinch bolt design.  I contoured the bracket, but it will still require a tiny bit of grinding on some casting ridges.  I don't want to make the bracket any thinner.
2: Contact with the ball joint.  quick measuring and CAD and I have some 1/8" bearing housing spacers coming in the next week.  Still gives good bore contact into the spindle and I don't like the idea of spacing the rotor itself out.  Spacing the rotor will be required if using on a 10-12 due to the spacers currently only for the 13+ which have larger bearings.  10-12 use same bearing/hub assy front and rear.
3: 15mm spacer required for stock 10-12 wheels.  Those stock wheels require the weights to be removed from inside and either run only inner lip (hammer on) or possibly move the weights as close to the spoke as possible.  I'll see when I put new tires on.  My Asanti ABL-12 20x9 -35 fit without issue.  Had to remove the ~2.5mm washer under the caliper bolt to clear the weights on those.  Really, just be prepared to move the weights on your wheels.  Obviously, 20" only.
4: lug hole size is just under 5/8" (~.622), so I'm getting some 1/4" long 1/2" to 5/8" sleeves to test out.  I don't like oversized holes as I've had rotors slip and "clunk" upon braking in other applications.

So here's the real break-down:
Brackets (7075 AL)
Hardware for both mounting the bracket to the spindle and caliper to the bracket and banjo bolts with new crush washers.
rotor centering rings x2
stud hole reducers x10

I have at least 10 people from FB interested and I'll likely get 25 sets made.

Pictures below.  I had my prototype 3D printed which is why it's dark gray, but that is very close to what it will end up looking like.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

Nova

I'm very interested

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Nova

Can you post the FB link?

timbo

Nova

Quote from: timbo on June 07, 2023, 12:16:13 PM
Quote from: Nova on June 05, 2023, 10:35:18 AM
Can you post the FB link?

Great idea!!! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/782573995267283/permalink/2096574120533924/
Awesome, thanks! Following the post on FB and eagerly waiting for an update.

timbo

Sorry for the delay on these.  I have an order of 20 (10 sets) in and looks like early August for them to come in.  Once I get them in I'll need to ensure the fitment is correct and then I'll post about the availability.

timbo

Geez I have not updated this:

So I had an update a while back and apparently didn't post.  Here's my final update before I post about offering these as a mounting kit:

I've been driving around with these on for about a month now and cannot be happier with how they ended up.  I will get some pictures posted to show how everything ended up, but I'll give the jist of the "issues" I ran into:

#1 was rotor spacing, so I needed to get them moved out about 5mm, which I ended up designing spacers that necked down to engage both the rotor pilot and the smaller wheel pilot that ended up being where the rotor was spaced out to.

#2 was wheel spacing, which I found out a 15mm should work on the later "flower" wheels and even the double 5 spokes.  The earlier 10-12 will require at least an 18mm spacer.  Also add in the 5mm rotor spacer and subtract .5mm for the difference in hat thickness and it's around a 22-23mm difference of wheel/tire position with the earlier 20s.  I have them on mine and even with my coilovers set too low, I had no rub bottoming out, so that was nice.  I've since raised the car about 3/4" and it's a better ride and still looks good.

#3 and final issue was the hose:  nothing OEM will work and even finding a fitting to work on the front chassis proved to be difficult until the hose guy I use suggested a simple round one with a flange to hold it behind the bracket, but round so it doesn't need to be "clocked" any specific way.  The fitting still uses the OEM clip to hold it in place.  This worked perfectly since the caliper fittings are a L or R and would require me getting the hoses set up perfectly to minimize any static binding once installed.

I am currently getting hoses made by my local Brake Quip dealer.  Planning on the low profile, but might have to be the OEM.  These will be DOT Stainless PTFE hoses.  I can get rubber made if someone desires that, but will have to be made to order and not sure on the cost for the one-offs.  Probably the same as the PTFE lines.

Once everything is in I will make a new post with the offering and with some instructions as to what is needed and how to install.  Below are some pictures of how it looks.  The chassis fitting might be a little bit longer at the threaded part so it'll more match the oem length, but the hard lines do have a little bit of adjustment in that location since the bracket is designed to hold them there.

timbo

Finally got a few sets of hoses in. My hose guy is trying really hard to remedy this. I have enough for 4 sets of the GT350 brakes. OEM will have to wait a few until I can get there again. On my drive home on Thursday the 1st I ended up going to the hospital and got my appendix removed. So, still a little down from that.

Before I make a new post on a few forums and FB, those who were active and interested, wanted to offer the 4 that are available.

Included: 2x adapter brackets, 2x rotor spacers, 4x adapter bracket bolts (OEM), 4x Allen head caliper mounting bolts, 2x DOT SS brake lines with banjo bolts, and a caliper hardware kit.

All that is needed are the rotors, calipers, and pads. Rotors are available either drilled for up to around 2020 and solid face there after (aftermarket 1pc have been inconsistent on fitment). Calipers are either plain grey anodized or red on the GT350R, and pads are whatever your heart desires.

Disclaimer I must add is that I have no idea how this will affect the stability system on the 13+ SHO. The 10-12 utilize a basic ABS and TCS, but the 13+ PP has the addition of a stability system. This is also a major undertaking, even though it is bolt-on, it will require a little bit of fitment. Especially with OEM wheels. 

With that said, please don't hesitate to reach out with any interest and/or feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpd1151

Sharp!

Should really prove incredibly beneficial for those looking to upgrade the paltry OEM brake set up.

Nicely done and kudos to all involved!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk