• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

White Smoke, Shuddering on brand new turbos

Started by jordanc67, May 08, 2023, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanc67

I just finished replacing both turbos with new OEM's on my 2012 MKS Ecoboost. While I'm no mechanic, I took my time, replaced all gaskets and oil lines. Only thing I didn't change out was the coolant lines themselves, but I did replace the crush washers. Torqued everything to spec according to service manual.

I did also remove the intercooler and clean/dry it out.

When I first started the engine after replacement (and "priming", cranking w/o fuel or spark for ~30 seconds), white smoke billowed out the exhaust, but after less than a minute subsided.

When going for a quick test drive, I noticed white smoke would come from the exhaust under moderate throttle, and sometimes under moderate throttle I noticed rough acceleration, which to me felt like a boost leak - could be a loose hose somewhere, i'm going to smoke test it later today.

Boost gauge seems to max out around 10 psi. Upon parking the car, I noticed white smoke also in the engine bay, which seems to be coming from the downpipes.

I jacked the car back up and checked for leaks, and couldn't see any. The white smoke smells like antifreeze to me.

Not sure what could be causing smoke from the exhaust. I did notice some water leaking out of exhaust as well, but upon doing the ol' sniff test, seems like pure water, not antifreeze.

What debug steps should I take? Take her in to dealership??

SHOdded

idk if this is the case here but apparently white smoke can also be caused by the pcv system
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg140490.html#msg140490

since it smells like antifreeze go with rechecking your work. also make sure oil and coolant are not mixing.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jordanc67

Quote from: SHOdded on May 08, 2023, 06:37:21 PM
idk if this is the case here but apparently white smoke can also be caused by the pcv system
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg140490.html#msg140490

since it smells like antifreeze go with rechecking your work. also make sure oil and coolant are not mixing.

I did remove the PCV host/front turbo intake tube, maybe I damaged it somehow?

Purchased a smoke tester, ran it into the the intake right after airbox. Did see a leak on intake side of front turbo. Hose did look worse for wear on install, might have to replace. Didn't see any smoke out of the boost side of intake lines. Even pulled top turbo->CAC hose, no smoke came out, guess I'm doing it wrong. Where would I place the smoke tester line to check for boost leaks?