• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lanson's Flex on 22 staggered, Finally some decent pics

Started by Lanson, September 16, 2013, 01:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

Hey guys, ever since I got my wheels on (and got the right center caps), it has either rained or been a horrible day to take pics.  So, over the weekend (and between thunderstorms) I cleaned her up, drove out to a park, and snapped some pics. 

Flushness is good, especially after the alignment straightened these rears up

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

DJE624

Very nice!  If you like, post them to the ROTM Gallery! 

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Ricanracer140

I can't see but the pic with the after alignment rear view. What are the specs of wheels and tires? I'm looking to put 22's on the SHO.

Lanson

Quote from: Ricanracer140 on September 16, 2013, 09:16:30 PM
I can't see but the pic with the after alignment rear view. What are the specs of wheels and tires? I'm looking to put 22's on the SHO.

Ricanracer,

Can you rephrase that first part for me?  If you need a pic of a certain angle, I'll try to get it.

The specs are 22x9 +37 front, 22x10 +37 rear, these are 3 piece forged wheels from L&B Forged out of Cali, the centers are machined face with polished pockets, then clear powdercoated.  The inner barrel is standard raw alloy, and the outer is bare polished aluminum.  The lip in front is approximately 3" (as measured from outside of face to outside of lip), and rears are a little under 4" lip as measured same.  The front wheels have a large backpad built in to clear the big brakes we have, and the rears are machined down quite a bit from that.

The tires are 265/35-22 all around, Toyo Extensa HP's.  Being the same size tire, I am able to keep the AWD happy vs. going with say a 295/30-22 in the rear.  Also, I don't think a 295 would fit, the clearances are ridiculously close and I can take pics of that if need be.

I would say that this is about as big as a Taurus or Flex can handle, with exception to possibly maybe a 1/2" wider lip on the outside only front and rear.  But it would be pretty extreme, and might need some fender pulling.  I thought about later one swapping my outer lips for chrome instead of polished (maybe in a couple years), and at the same time I might gamble and go with this 1/2" wider option.  Just to see what happens really.

22x9 and 22x10 seems safe without being sunken in, to me. 

It is worth mentioning I have zero rub, great handling, and like I said before, the AWD system seems happy and doesn't have issues with it.

Did I answer your questions?  I have more pics of various things if it helps, can take specific ones if needed to help further.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Ricanracer140

For some reason I can't see your pics on tapatalk.  I just want to see how flush the wheels sit to the fender. Thanks

TSS

2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

Lanson

Quote from: Ricanracer140 on September 17, 2013, 11:17:52 AM
For some reason I can't see your pics on tapatalk.  I just want to see how flush the wheels sit to the fender. Thanks

Oh gotcha.

The pic host is Shutterfly, tapatalk should work but I guess not. 

Couple things, on a Flex the fenders are not actually parallel to the wheel and tire, there is actually some angling going on so it is hard to judge.  The rear fender is wider by the tail lamps compared with the rear edge of doors, by quite a bit.  The front has a similar problem, as the front bumper and forward part of the fender is cut in a bit more than the backside of the front fender by the front door hinge.  Again, hard to flush a wheel in perfectly. 

Here's a few pics prior to alignment, just after the wheels were installed. 

These are after alignment, the shots I could find that demonstrated the flushness of the wheel as much as possible.  Again I can run out and snap some others (like a straight rear view) later on and post it up.

This one is a pretty good shot of it

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Ricanracer140

Lanson would you mind sending me some pics to my email. I'm torn on the tire size. I would love the wider tire out back.

Lanson

Quote from: Ricanracer140 on September 20, 2013, 08:14:46 PM
Lanson would you mind sending me some pics to my email. I'm torn on the tire size. I would love the wider tire out back.

They are too big to send but I did what I think is the next best thing, post them to the ROTM section of this forum.  I was asked a while back to do it anyway, so I added a bunch that I think will help you see what is going on.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=10

Now remember, I'm not running a wider tire out back.  I'm running a wider wheel.  265/35-22 all around.  The alternative of a 295/30-22 in the rear would *probably* not work, due to tight clearances.  Also, about the only tire that works with both sizes is the Vredstein units, which are $250 each.  These Toyo Extensa HP's were only $175 each.  Big difference!

IMO, 265/35-22 works well front and rear, even with the wider wheel.