• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

That's the Brakes

Started by Faux SHO, November 06, 2022, 10:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faux SHO

I was told by the dealer my wife's 2019 (stock) SHO may need brakes soon. Although it's been a while, I was thinking this is something I could handle. To be sure, I dialed it up on the internet (where everything is true) & happen to see that the brake rotors & pads are typically replaced. At the risk of sounding stupid, we don't just swap out the brake pads anymore?

SHOdded

rotors as they come from factory are typically thinner today than in days of yore.  plus they should be turned when not being replaced outright. reliable places to do that are not easy to find.

easier just to replace the set.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: Faux SHO on November 06, 2022, 10:51:23 PM
I was told by the dealer my wife's 2019 (stock) SHO may need brakes soon. Although it's been a while, I was thinking this is something I could handle. To be sure, I dialed it up on the internet (where everything is true) & happen to see that the brake rotors & pads are typically replaced. At the risk of sounding stupid, we don't just swap out the brake pads anymore?

As stated above, rotors are thinner from the factory nowadays. Multiple benefits for the manufacturer. First, less material, less cost. Second, less unsprung/rotational mass means better performance (both the way we think of it and mpg). Third, the sooner they wear out, the sooner you need parts and may either buy factory-brand parts or have a dealer service your vehicle.

That being said, turning rotors is not only getting harder to find a place to do it because of skill, but also because of cost. They need to keep the equipment maintained and occupy a person with doing it. In addition, because the rotor is thinner, there is less material to correct issues in the rotor and less number of times they can be turned.

All this is to say that buying a set of pads and rotors is the best option and often the cheapest way to get good results. Try looking at sites like RockAuto that offer brake packages. They often come with everything needed and you can choose pads, pads and rotors, or pads, rotors, and calipers.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

Faux SHO

Thank you both for your knowledgeable feedback. Glad I posted the question here. Looks unanimous, replace the pads & rotors.

SHOdded

ford rotors/pads from a PP sho make a good replacement. otherwise look for high carbon rotors + police pads from raybestos/bendix/etc.

best to stay away from drilled/slotted rotors, unless you go higher end, not the garden variety you find on amazon or ebay.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Faux SHO

Thanks for the tip. what's a PP?

Macgyver

PP is Performance Package. A package for Law Enforcement vehicles and the like. Regular folks can order it too.

The brake pads, for instance, are interchangeable with the Non PP SHOs ( 2013 on up? ) and are better so its a great replacement.

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: Macgyver on November 16, 2022, 09:01:11 PM
PP is Performance Package. A package for Law Enforcement vehicles and the like. Regular folks can order it too.

The brake pads, for instance, are interchangeable with the Non PP SHOs ( 2013 on up? ) and are better so its a great replacement.

PP is a Performance Package but differs from the PI package for law enforcement vehicles. They share some of the same options/components. In 2019, the PP includes enhanced sport-tuned suspension, high-performance front brake pads, sport-calibrated steering, AdvanceTrac electronic stability control with
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

Faux SHO

Thank you all for your valuable input. I successfully bought & replaced the rear brakes w/a PP brake pkg. everything went smoothly.

SHOdded

Quote from: Faux SHO on February 06, 2023, 11:50:42 PM
Thank you all for your valuable input. I successfully bought & replaced the rear brakes w/a PP brake pkg. everything went smoothly.
any pics 2 share pre and post?