• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Explorer ST 11.69

Started by ridered74, September 25, 2022, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridered74

Finally got some good air so I was launching at higher rpm's than I had been all summer. Was surprised at how quick it was with half a tank of gas still and completely full weight. It was funny how many people came up to me asking about it and saying how awesome it was to see something so big be so quick.

https://youtu.be/PAXQhPGCJZM
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

Macgyver

Super nice.

I like the trans. Shifts smooth.

3.0 seems so much better than the 3.5>

Maybe go big turbo next ?....... ;-)

https://youtu.be/ZOQO1ym2AEw

ridered74

Quote from: Macgyver on September 26, 2022, 12:46:47 PM
Super nice.

I like the trans. Shifts smooth.

3.0 seems so much better than the 3.5>

Maybe go big turbo next ?....... ;-)

https://youtu.be/ZOQO1ym2AEw

It is smoother for sure, that shift into 2nd isn't scary like the 3.5.

Huge no chance on upgraded turbos or pretty much anything else that would add power. The majority of guys that have done that seem to put the vehicle up for sale really quickly after going that route. I'm a "ballin on a budget" kind of guy.

Honestly it's already a little too quick for having fun at most test and tunes. Over half the time I'm running against 13 second cars in the street tire lanes, so it would just be overkill.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

Macgyver

Yeah I was just teasing. The smaller snails spool so fast and are a perfect fit for the speed of a road car.

I forgot about the test and tune time etc. Sub 12 secs doesnt do much good.

ridered74

Quote from: Macgyver on September 27, 2022, 12:40:42 AM
Yeah I was just teasing. The smaller snails spool so fast and are a perfect fit for the speed of a road car.

It's pretty much perfect for 12.0 index racing, only need to launch around 1800 rpm or so to easily hit the number. People used to come up to me a good bit after seeing the SHO run low 12's, but it's nothing like what kind of crowd the ST pulls in. LOL!

jman

Are the mods listed in your signature for the ST or the SHO?
I've been thinking on getting an ST, curious to know what would be needed to get it in the 12's.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

Macgyver

Quote from: ridered74 on September 28, 2022, 12:15:06 AM
Quote from: Macgyver on September 27, 2022, 12:40:42 AM

It's pretty much perfect for 12.0 index racing, only need to launch around 1800 rpm or so to easily hit the number. People used to come up to me a good bit after seeing the SHO run low 12's, but it's nothing like what kind of crowd the ST pulls in. LOL!

I meant to type Sub 13 if that makes sense.

ridered74

Quote from: jman on September 28, 2022, 12:01:13 PM
I've been thinking on getting an ST, curious to know what would be needed to get it in the 12's.

Ah no I never updated that.

I ran 12.4 with just auto octane tune from gearhead a few days after I bought it. That was in 40 degree temps outside tho. I had moved on to ethanol by the time summer hit, but I'd bet the AO tune would have still been 12's on the hottest day.

After having SHO's for 7 years and absolutely loving both of mine, I can tell you I do not miss the SHO one bit. The ST has everything the SHO had and more. I do miss not having a monthly car payment, but that's the only thing.

ST mods are whipple intercooler, afe intake, big mouth snorkel and zfg e50 tune. I also have e30 tune from gearhead, best time with that was 11.99 in pretty good air.

jman

Quote from: ridered74 on September 29, 2022, 12:24:13 AM

I ran 12.4 with just auto octane tune from gearhead a few days after I bought it. That was in 40 degree temps outside tho. I had moved on to ethanol by the time summer hit, but I'd bet the AO tune would have still been 12's on the hottest day.

After having SHO's for 7 years and absolutely loving both of mine, I can tell you I do not miss the SHO one bit. The ST has everything the SHO had and more. I do miss not having a monthly car payment, but that's the only thing.

ST mods are whipple intercooler, afe intake, big mouth snorkel and zfg e50 tune. I also have e30 tune from gearhead, best time with that was 11.99 in pretty good air.

I hear you, I'm more an SUV person but the SHO captivated me when I test drove it.
What I really want is a Durango (love the style and aggressive look) but to get a performance comparable to what the ST offers, I'd have to get the SRT which is about $15k more than the ST. Waiting for the 2023 prices to come out, dealer said none of the 2022's available in Ontario match my desired build sheet. Also hope the 2023 comes with the new dash seen on the Chinese version.
My 18 YO son will be inheriting the SHO... I wish I had his luck when I was his age.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

ridered74

Quote from: jman on September 29, 2022, 10:47:59 AM
Quote from: ridered74 on September 29, 2022, 12:24:13 AM

I hear you, I'm more an SUV person but the SHO captivated me when I test drove it.
What I really want is a Durango (love the style and aggressive look) but to get a performance comparable to what the ST offers, I'd have to get the SRT which is about $15k more than the ST. Waiting for the 2023 prices to come out, dealer said none of the 2022's available in Ontario match my desired build sheet. Also hope the 2023 comes with the new dash seen on the Chinese version.
My 18 YO son will be inheriting the SHO... I wish I had his luck when I was his age.

It's my first SUV, but honestly doesn't really feel like an SUV most of the time. It turns tighter in parking lots than my SHO and my 04 honda civic believe it or not. It feels like an SUV going around highway cloverleafs, but the acceleration on the straights more than makes up for that.

I've never been a big fan of spending a lot of money on vehicles, but the way things were going with the world last fall I figured either armageddon or something was gonna be happening soon and I wouldn't have to finish paying off the loan. Joke will probably be on me, armageddon will happen the month after I pay it off.

jims2015

2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods