• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Remote functions/remote start weak or intermittent

Started by polskifacet, July 06, 2022, 12:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

Hey Guys,
Haven't been active but still have the SHO. Having a weird problem with remote functions. No codes in forscan. Reset and intialized the modules. Erased and re added keys. Battery is on trickle charger for full voltage. Changed both key fob batteries. If i put the key on the TPM module that's on the rear deck it's very responsive. Same if i put the key right on the area where the antenna is behind the rear bumper or in the center console where the backup antenna is if your key fob battery is dead. It works but it's being super picky and sometimes it's weak. Randomly get no key detected when driving and sometimes it's hard to start the car and I end up putting it in the console slot. Any advice would be great. I'm thinking about getting a new TPM(on rear deck) first.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

you may need to replace the RFA and or the RFR module.  or maybe the glove compartment is full, blocking the RFA module.  the three antennas rarely are the problem, but the connectors could very well be full or grime or have burnt pins.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Hey man thanks for the reply,
I changed the TPM module (no programming required) which does TPMS and the key antenna. I also changed the RFA (which used programmed fine) and checked the 3 antennas which all have in spec resistance. I changed the PCM just in case (which used programmed fine). The only thing that's almost impossible to change is the BCM which I think is the culprit because if I take the fuse out for the BCM, the key response when opening/closing doors is much faster and reliable. I bought a matching number BCM from the junkyard but it's impossible to program with IDS, I think there are some write once bits that can't be changed unless you use a clone tool like IO Terminal. Ford stopped production of my modules the second 10 years was up.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

i dont see any reason why a later build module would not work for you. call up fordpartsgiant.com and have a conversation.
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2013-ford-taurus/electrical/vehicle_modules_and_sensors.html?filter=(31966;40369)&pnc=15604
Smart Junction Box
Ford DG1Z-15604-C
DG1Z-15604-C
Module - Door Lock And Alarm
Smart Junction Box
Production Date:
09/2012-12/2012
Callout Name:
Replaced By:
DG1Z-15604-D
$248.00
$196.17
Add To Cart
Ford DG1Z-15604-A
DG1Z-15604-A
Smart Junction Box
Production Date:
02/2012-08/2012
Callout Name:
--
$0.00
Ford DG1Z-15604-D
DG1Z-15604-D
Smart Junction Box
Production Date:
12/2012-06/2013
Base Number:
Callout Name:
$248.00
$196.17

looks like a supply chain shortage for the latest revision
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-module-door-lock-and-alarm_dg1z-15604-d.html?vin=&make=Ford&model=Taurus&year=2013&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=(31966;40369)

https://smile.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-DG1Z-15604-D-Alarm-Module/dp/B00M37M8GW/
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

It might be the supply chain shortage and they are just putting "discontinued" because that's what they can put on the website. I did however find a local guy that was able to clone my bcm module and flash it onto the doner. The doner works but the car still exhibits the same issue. We copied P flash and EEPROM. The module guy said to try and put the doner unit original P flash back on the doner and try that as that should still work (start car etc) and would take out the variable that there is some corruption in P flash on my unit.

My VIN doesn't have any replacement unit on Ford Parts Giant. 1FAHP2KT2DG100881

random spinner 1 4

SHOdded

i assume that method works for ford modules of that vintage.  the only other path to configuration is to try the forscan for windows extended license way. download the original config and copy to the new module when you install it.

polskifacet

Quote from: SHOdded on August 15, 2022, 05:15:08 PM
i assume that method works for ford modules of that vintage.  the only other path to configuration is to try the forscan for windows extended license way. download the original config and copy to the new module when you install it.

Copying the as built from my module and trying to load it to the doner with forscan errored out because it said there was a different amount of bits or something. The VIN was also incorrect and IDS didn't seem to be able to change it. Attempting to reflash with forscan beta, it would fail and the module would be in a weird state until I did PMI with IDS and it also failed but the module regained functionality like working interior lights etc but still was a no ignition or start.

polskifacet

Quite surprising that this type of design is allowed. Unless you find a compatible module and someone that can clone your BCM while it's still readable, your 10 year old car is junk and turns into a non running parts car over a $100 module. I have the files from the cloning process so I'm safe but that's really hard to expect from a regular person.

SHOdded

still could be a power related issue. make sure voltages are correct at each antenna location and that there is no interference.

NOTE: The IA feature is a programmable parameter and can be enabled/disabled with a scan tool. If the feature is disabled, the IA feature to enter the vehicle and passive starting are inoperative. To start the vehicle, the IA key must be placed in the backup transceiver slot.

The RFA module and the BCM control the ignition modes and, in conjunction with the PCM, control the starting system

Backup Starting

NOTE: There are certain areas within the vehicle where the IA key may not be detected and the message center displays NO KEY DETECTED. If the IA key is in the far outside edges of the interior (such as in a door map pocket or above a sun visor), it may not be detected. Move the IA key to a different location and try to start the vehicle again.

The vehicle can experience a PATS no start if there is a failure of any passive start antenna, the battery in the IA key, or the TPM module. If this occurs, the NO KEY DETECTED message displays in the message center when the start/stop switch is pressed.

However, in the event of one of these failures, the IA key can be placed in the backup transceiver slot to allow the vehicle to start. The IA key should be placed in the backup transceiver slot with the buttons facing outwards and the key ring up. If a programmed IA key is in the backup transceiver slot when the backup transceiver activates, the IA key and the identification code is sent to the RFA module. The backup slot is located in floor console storage compartment.

No Key Detected Message

NOTE: Some brands/types of mobile phone or laptop computer chargers may cause interference that could lead to a PATS no-start if the IA key is within close proximity of the charger. If a concern is observed, move the IA key away from the charger and attempt to start the vehicle.

There are 2 scenarios in which the No Key Detected message displays in the message center.

The first is when the ignition is off, the START/STOP button is pressed and a programmed Intelligent Access (IA) key is not detected inside the vehicle. If a component failure (such as a dead Intelligent Access (IA) key battery) is causing the No Key Detected message to display, the backup starting method can be used.

The second scenario is when the vehicle is running, the driver exits the vehicle with the programmed Intelligent Access (IA) key and closes the door.

The RFA module activates all 3 passive start antennas to search the inside of the vehicle for an Intelligent Access (IA) key any time a door or the luggage compartment lid is opened and then closed with the vehicle running. The Key outside car message displays in the message center and the horn chirps twice when the ignition is on and an Intelligent Access (IA) key is no longer detected inside the vehicle.

This strategy deters the Intelligent Access (IA) key from being separated from an already running vehicle. If the Intelligent Access (IA) key is no longer in the vehicle, the ignition remains on and the vehicle continues to operate. When the START/STOP button is pressed to turn the ignition off, the ignition can be restarted without an Intelligent Access (IA) key present inside the vehicle for approximately 10 seconds. After 10 seconds have elapsed, a programmed Intelligent Access (IA) key must be present to transition the ignition out of off. If the driver door is opened during the 10-second countdown, a programmed Intelligent Access (IA) key is needed to transition the ignition out of off.

SHOdded

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)

The PATS function is controlled by the BCM and the RFA module.

When the start/stop switch is pressed, the RFA module initiates the key initialization sequence by activating the 3 interior passive start antennas. Each passive start antenna transmits a low frequency signal approximately 1 m (3 ft) radius of each antenna. If an IA key is within range of the 3 interior passive start antennas, the IA key activates.

When the IA key activates, it sends the PATS identification code to the TPM module via a high frequency signal. The TPM module interprets the high frequency signal from the IA key and sends the information to the RFA module over a dedicated network. If the RFA module determines that a programmed IA key is inside the vehicle, it communicates this information to the BCM and the ignition transitions out of OFF.

If the vehicle has a failure of any passive start antenna, the battery in the IA key, or the TPM module, the vehicle can experience a PATS no-start. However, in the event of one of these failures, the IA key can be placed in the backup transceiver slot to allow the vehicle to start. The backup transceiver activates an IA key (if placed in the slot) when the start/stop switch is pressed.

When the ignition transitions out of OFF and the modules initialize, the RFA module, BCM , and the PCM exchange their identifications. If each of the modules receive the correct identification from each other, PATS disables and allows the engine to start. If the PATS prevents the engine from starting, STARTING SYSTEM FAULT displays in the message center and a DTC is stored in one of the 3 modules.

The PATS and the RKE system share the operation of several components including the IA key and the TPM module. If there is a concern with either of these components, the PATS and the RKE system are both affected. REFER to Section 501-14B for information on the RKE and IA features.

NOTE: The IA feature is a programmable parameter and can be enabled/disabled with a scan tool. If the feature is disabled, the IA feature to enter the vehicle and passive starting are inoperative. To start the vehicle, the IA key must be placed in the backup transceiver slot.

The RFA module and the BCM control the ignition modes and, in conjunction with the PCM, control the starting system.

polskifacet

I studied the same text and replaced all the modules involved. If I take out the BCM fuse on the BCM the key is very responsive again so I don't think its the TPM or RFA. if the key is in range of the passive antennas it seems like a process or buffer gets wonky. If I'm at the store for example and come back to the car out of range of the passive antennas, the key works normally, as soon as i get closer like the driver door or sit inside it, it gets slow and unresponsive again.

SHOdded

i guess bcm it is then, was hoping for a cheaper solution

polskifacet

So far it's not horrible

$170 for RFA
$100 for TPM
$30 for PCM
$40 for BCM

$100 for the cloning service locally
$100 for the vcm II emulator and cracked forscan off a random website

What I will say is if you plan on keeping your ford and your around the 10 year mark just buy the $130 virgin BCM from the dealer. You can potentially read the virgin module and post the files for the community so used units can be flashed if the original BCM is unreadable.

polskifacet

Made some discoveries. For whatever reason mykey keeps activating itself to some extent. My volume is limited by mykey. I create a mykey , delete it and volume works. I press unlock/lock a few times and volume gets blocked by mykey again. Do SHOs have fcim? Forscan seems to find it but IDS can't communicate with the module. I can do a fcim reset in forscan and that flashes the HVAC/radio lights.

polskifacet

I have found a workaround. Set key fob 1 as a mykey, dont use that key fob. Use key two and no more key not found message as well as very responsive remote.

I found one post where Ford engineering helped a dealer with a similar issue in a diesel truck. The poster said they had to pull a fuse to some module while programming the keys. Tried a couple variations of that without luck.