• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stripped spark plug threads

Started by shaundizzle15, June 06, 2022, 10:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaundizzle15

Hey guys, stripped the back middle plug changing the plugs tonight. The question is can it be repaired without a new head and should it be repaired without a new head. Any ideas of approximate cost? Thanks
Hockey/Golf/Car geek, Beagle loving, and totally comfortable with it.
Tuxedo Black nonPP 2013 SHO traded in
Shadow Black nonPP 2016 SHO
VTA, and tuned by GH

Ta2dResqr

Helicoil or Time-Sert. Time-Sert is the better option. Cost is totally up to the shop. Most standard repairs have a book time. The shop will times their hourly rate by book time to get what "should" be charged. Something like this is "custom". You have to find someone who has the correct tools and is willing to do it. They can set whatever rate because it is not a basic repair. I would go online and look up reviews for local shops and then make some calls.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

shaundizzle15

Well good news is I was tired and my neighbor was talking to me while attempting the plug in question, and I never removed the old plug, didn't realize till this morning. Went and counted my old plugs and only had 4, I was on number 5. So was good news except I broke the ceramic on the old plug so had to blow it out several times and then slowly remove the old plug and continue to blow it out. Put the new plug in, buttoned it up and it fired right up. Let it get to operating temp and went and did a few pulls and all good. lesson learned, Do Not Work on cars tired. Embarrassing for sure but glad it was that vs a stripped head.
VTA, and tuned by GH

SM105K

Good good, things like that are always better when you realize it was a goof up.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

shaundizzle15

Indeed, was the best case scenario 
VTA, and tuned by GH