• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water meth injection questions?

Started by ThePresidential, May 29, 2022, 04:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePresidential

As my 2013 lincoln mks is my daily driver, reliability of the engine comes first. Im looking at getting a water meth injection setup, is there a kit for the 3.5L ecoboost that allows you to inject only water, just like bmw has done to one of their stock vehicles?
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

Ecoboost_xsport

Technically speaking, you can push any fluid you want through the meth injection system.  That being said, there are variations of mixtures.  Some use different concentrations.  I prefer 100% meth as it acts as a fuel as well as cooling down the cylinder, plus I'm lazy and I hate mixing, lol.  You need to be careful injecting only water as it could effect the combustion process...water doesn't combust and will "take up space" in the cylinder that a fuel mixture would normally use.  Since it isn't a fuel nor can it be compressed, care needs to be taken because when the water becomes vaporized the steam expands and can create additional unwanted cylinder pressures.  Its all a balancing act and should be thought out carefully.
Here is my install.  There are some calculators within the write up to figure nozzle sizes as well...
https://www.fortheworkshop.com/aquamist-hfs4v3-1-direct-port-methanol-injection-system/

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: ThePresidential on May 29, 2022, 04:52:48 AM
As my 2013 lincoln mks is my daily driver, reliability of the engine comes first. Im looking at getting a water meth injection setup, is there a kit for the 3.5L ecoboost that allows you to inject only water, just like bmw has done to one of their stock vehicles?

I definitely understand reliability over power. My SHO is my DD and only enclosed vehicle. Is there a reason you don't want to use some meth? The easiest method would be -20 blue washer fluid. Readily available, ~30/70 meth/water ratio. Despite the reliability goal, my desire is to go with a system similar to Ecoboost_xsport that has fail-safes in place. I would shy away from straight water unless it were in very small amounts. It will provide some cleaning and cooling but, with no fuel offset, I would feel like it is a very fine line between benefit and problem.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

ThePresidential

I was thinking with just water it would keep engine temps down and not add too much power to add extra strain on the engine. Unless you can just add a lower mixture or just spray less of a higher mixture.
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: ThePresidential on June 03, 2022, 11:57:32 PM
I was thinking with just water it would keep engine temps down and not add too much power to add extra strain on the engine. Unless you can just add a lower mixture or just spray less of a higher mixture.

Did you get a chance to read my response above? I covered this already...