• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Coolant Leak Diagnosis and Advice

Started by Gorgon_SHO, May 21, 2022, 12:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgon_SHO

I have a 2012 SHO that is a touch over 100k miles and it has started leaking coolant. It's become fairly aggressive leak and I suspect it may be a water pump (since I've read that is a common cause at this point in my SHOs age).

I have had the cold start rattle (not too bad) since I bought the car in 2020, so obviously I would get both done at the same time.

My question here is two-fold:
1. What is the best way to diagnose the source of the coolant leak? I heard something about a weep hole by the alternator?
2. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Seattle Metro for a waterpump and timing chain replacement? I just moved here from Colorado
2012 SHO - Non-PP
-- Unleashed power package with 3 Bar Sensor and 91 Performance Tune
-- mDesign Cold Air Intake

Macgyver

It is the pump. Just get it all done. As far as a shop. A dealer is not a bad resource. You get the work backed by the dealer / Ford.

Gorgon_SHO

Sorry for being a bit ignorant. I've never had work done through a dealership. When you say, "backed by the dealer/Ford" what exactly do you mean?
2012 SHO - Non-PP

Macgyver

You go to a local shop. They source parts and repair the car. If there is an issue with the repair. Its between you and the shop. If they dont make it right. What are you going to do?

You go to a Ford dealer. They use Ford parts. Use Ford certified technicians. You are backed by the Ford dealer network. If something goes wrong. You hit up the service manager. If that doesnt work. You have Ford itself to get things moving. It might cost more up front but you have a lot more backing. Plus the technicians have done them and know how to do them.

Gorgon_SHO

Awesome. Thanks! I appreciate the explanation. I am getting a quote from the nearest Ford Dealership to see how much more expensive. I got a quote from a good shop nearby for $3500 + Tax.
2012 SHO - Non-PP

ridered74

Quote from: Gorgon_SHO on May 24, 2022, 05:21:51 PM
Awesome. Thanks! I appreciate the explanation. I am getting a quote from the nearest Ford Dealership to see how much more expensive. I got a quote from a good shop nearby for $3500 + Tax.

That's a really good deal for them. If you pay that much definitely go the dealer route. Total parts cost is around 500-600 bucks. Three grand labor is a bit much.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

Gorgon_SHO

Really? In the posts I've seen here and on the SHO forum it seems like this is about on par... See here for example: https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,10771.msg160581.html#msg160581
2012 SHO - Non-PP