May 18, 2022, 10:28:06 PM
collapse

Author Topic:  How to Use Whatever Rear Spring You Want  (Read 345 times)

Offline P71Nero

• Boulder City, NV
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 3
  • Ecobooster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
How to Use Whatever Rear Spring You Want
« on: May 05, 2022, 09:49:34 PM »
Hello, I have a 2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost I've been using as a track car. Mechanically almost identical to a Taurus SHO. The adaptive suspension the MKS is equipped with may have a sport mode, but it's not suited to this kind of use. My shocks were all either on their last leg or completely dead, so I ordered some of the BC Racing DS Series coilovers. Their default rates are 6kg/mm front, 8kg/mm rear. 8kg/mm seemed much too soft for the rear though, as I had taken measurements of the rear control arms and found that the motion ratio was 0.578. With this, I found the rear spring should be at least 12kg/mm, and I decided I wanted to use a 14kg/mm spring.

The problem is, BC doesn't have options for the rear rate. The rear springs are not a conventional spring design. I ordered the coilovers from their site with the 12k rear spring and I was told they only had an 8k that would fit the car. So I went with that, and looked for a way to adapt a linear coilover spring to the rear. I discovered that the 350Z uses a rear spring of the same dimensions in BC's kits, but they also have an option to get the 350Z coilovers with a lower spring perch for linear coilover springs. These perches can be ordered separately (D-17-LSA), so I ordered them along with some 7" 14k Swift Springs.

They do in fact fit the car and seem to work perfectly. I haven't track tested the car yet with the new setup yet, and it still needs an alignment, but if I do ever need to change rates in the future I will now be able to use whatever rate I want for both front and rear.

2013 MKS EcoBoost - GH tune, GH intercooler, BC DS coilovers w/ rear linear spring perches, Whiteline rear sway bar, Steeda Explorer rear trailing arms, Wilwood Superlite 4 w/ Schwartz brackets, Raybestos ST-43 front, OEM PP Pads rear, stainless lines, 18x10.5+18 Konig Freeform, AdvanceTrac off button, PP Trans Cooler, PP Trans Thermostat, SPC camber kits front and rear

2014 FPIU EcoBoost - GH Tune, Bilstein B6, H&R Springs, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda rear trailing arms, Steeda rear toe links, 18x11+15 Konig Hypergram, SPC camber kits front and rear, Airaid "CAI"

Offline bpd1151

• Forum Supporters
  • Elite Member
  • SHOcago S/W 'Burbs
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2586
  • -Received: 2666
  • SHOGAZM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How to Use Whatever Rear Spring You Want
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 12:05:38 AM »
Interesting and an outstanding, creative way to achieve your goal by mix/matching.

Please report back and let us all know how your experiences are with them. Track, or motoring around off the track.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Offline P71Nero

• Boulder City, NV
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 3
  • Ecobooster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: How to Use Whatever Rear Spring You Want
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 03:39:23 PM »
I plan on track testing the car this Saturday at Streets of Willow. I just added some more transmission cooling as the PP Trans cooler by itself wasn't cutting it. I also just got the car aligned to -2.8 camber in front and -2.0 in rear, zero toe. The settings the BC coilovers were at from the factory seemed way too stiff. I ended up turning them to full soft then turning the fronts up by 2 clicks and the rear up by 4 clicks. The ride quality is similar to the MKS sport mode now but body roll is enormously reduced as well as brake dive. My previous personal best at this track was 1:29 while on stock suspension and 275/40R18 Nitto NT555 G2s. I will be on 275/40R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3s for the upcoming event.
2013 MKS EcoBoost - GH tune, GH intercooler, BC DS coilovers w/ rear linear spring perches, Whiteline rear sway bar, Steeda Explorer rear trailing arms, Wilwood Superlite 4 w/ Schwartz brackets, Raybestos ST-43 front, OEM PP Pads rear, stainless lines, 18x10.5+18 Konig Freeform, AdvanceTrac off button, PP Trans Cooler, PP Trans Thermostat, SPC camber kits front and rear

2014 FPIU EcoBoost - GH Tune, Bilstein B6, H&R Springs, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda rear trailing arms, Steeda rear toe links, 18x11+15 Konig Hypergram, SPC camber kits front and rear, Airaid "CAI"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal