• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What car to buy?

Started by Agentlongwood, March 29, 2022, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I'm back baby!  After being gone from these forums for a few years, I may be getting back into an EcoBoost vehicle.  I had some questions and this is THE place to go for info, in my experience.  I bought and sold a bunch of cars after I parted ways with my MKS EcoBoost. Went through divorce, and maybe a touch of midlife crisis vehicle purchasing lol.  But with things settling down, I need a vehicle with some more room.  And I don't want to be bored to death driving to work every day.  So I'm looking for vehicle recommendations.  I don't want to do another MKS or SHO.  I never really fit right with the seating position in the MKS.  But here are the things I'm considering:

2013+ Explorer Sport (Test drove an awesome 2016 today actually)
2015+ Edge Sport
2017+ Fusion Sport
2016+ Lincoln MKX 2.7 EcoBoost

(non-ecoboost vehicles)
2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi
2015+ Dodge Charger R/T
2015+ Chrysler 300S Hemi

How is the tuning scene with the 2.7 EcoBoost these days?  I know the 3.5 is a beast.  Are the cars I listed with the 2.7 just as good nowadays?  The cars listed with the 5.7 Hemi would not be as fast as some of the EcoBoost cars after tuning.  But they are super comfy, and don't need high octane.  Are there any other decent cars to consider?  I thought about the 2014+ Cadillac V-Sport with the twin turbo 3.6 liter V6.  But they seem a tad less reliable, and pricey.   
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ridered74

How about a 20+ explorer ST? Any real mid-life crisis should involve an overpriced vehicle.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

Agentlongwood

If I had the money for one of those, I'd have a lot more options lol.  My neighbor has one, and I like it quite a bit. I got the mid-life crisis purchase out of the way already. I had a C5 corvette for a little while. Z51, Targa, 6-speed.  Loved it, but wasn't super practical for my situation.

Macgyver

3.0 EB seems to be a beast tuning wise.

The 2.7 tunes well but not as much headroom as the 3.0 or 3.5.

3.5 is great but it seems the new 3.0 tunes better ?

Ford 10speed trans seems to be way better than a 8 speed. 6 speed better than the 8speed.

Looking at your list. I like SUVs now. Sedans are ok. SUVs are better imho. I would try to find a low mileage. Grandma owned Edge Sport. Tune it and be done with it. I like my 2020 Edge ST. It is a solid SUV but the Trans limits it. Now dont get me wrong. I loved my 2015 E30 tuned SHO and the Sport/ST are no where close to the 0-60 of a tuned SHO. But after tuning the Edge. They are very fun to drive.

If you want to go classy. Find a 3.5 Lincoln sedan or 3.0 Lincoln SUV.

I just drove a 2021 Edge with the big tablet for a screen. I like Fords 8" screen/sync WAY better. The Newer Sync 8" systems are very good IMHO. Infotainment is nothing to skimp on in a car/suv.

I would get a used Infiniti sedan before I would get a used Fusion sedan.

Stay away from the Chrysler 300's from what I heard.

Watch your MPG's ? My ST gets 20-22 around town and 28 hwy. My SHO was 18-20 town and 26 hwy and 13mpg with a full on E85 tune.

Agentlongwood

Awesome, thank you for the input.  Checking out some of the 3.0 Lincoln vehicles, I think they may be above my price range.  (like $20-22k)  I test drove a 2016 Explorer Sport yesterday, and I was super impressed with how nice it felt.  I still need to drive an Edge Sport, and a Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter.  I haven't ruled out some sedans, because I really like the Charger R/T.  But I have to hand it to Ford, that Explorer felt fantastic to drive.