• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Direct-Port Methanol Build - Nozzle Questions

Started by craigtone, January 31, 2022, 04:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigtone

I have a like new intake manifold I snagged on eBay and am looking to build a DIY direct-port methanol injection setup.  Here is the plan:

• Snow VC-50 Progressive Controller
  • Snow Pump
  • Snow Solenoid
  • Use Existing Windshield Reservoir & Low Fluid Switch
  • Snow 100 Micron Filter
  • Snow 6-Cylinder Direct Port Upgrade
  • EPP Noisemaker Delete Pipe w/Meth Bung for 7th Nozzle
We take a lot of long trips in the car so I am only planning to run 50/50.  I talked to Matt at Gearhead and he can tweak my tune to add some additional octane but still allow me to run out of methanol and drive safely.  I'm adding a 7th nozzle at the intercooler outlet to trick the IAT to adjust for the cooler charge.  According to Snow, I need ~8GPH total.

How should I break this up?  More on the charge pipe nozzle or more on the DP nozzles?  Options are:

• 0.5GPHx6 + 5GPH
  • 0.75GPHx6 + 4GPH
  • 1GPHx6 + 2GPH
Snow recommends bringing everything on as Stage 1 but I was wondering if there were any advantages to sizing above and potentially using Stage 1 for the 7th nozzle to start the IAT charge cooling then bring on the DP at higher boost in Stage 2?  Curious for those running DP how you configured this?

I'll keep everyone posted and add pics as the build continues.  ;D
2015 SHO (non-PP) - Off-Road DPs, K&N Intake, OBX Catback, GH AO Tune, Aux Trans Cooler, H&R Springs, PP Shocks, PI Brakes, ScanGauge 2, Amsoil Fluids

bpd1151

IDK if Snow has improved the quality of their product, or if they've even reconsidered honoring their warranty's, but may want to perform some objective research on them prior to purchasing.

I say this because there are quite a few owners here (and on other communities) who'll recall how their connections would leak/fail, their controllers were sub par, and to add insult to injury, they would outright deny warranty claims, blaming the customer entirely.

But in a general sense, the direct set up systems seemed to have proven their value over the years. So in that aspect alone, you're on the right track.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Ta2dResqr

Check out Aquamist (https://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-065-hfs4-v3-1-system-for-di-engines-the-most-advanced-pwm-system-to-date-4-5-weeks/?setCurrencyId=2)

It uses a PWM pump for better accuracy. They also have a forum and instructions on how to choose the correct size jets. The owner is EXTREMELY helpful and very responsive.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

craigtone

I know the old Snow controllers had issues but I haven't heard anything bad about the VC-50 (yet) and I already have it hence needing a snow pump and solenoid to drive directly off the controller PWM output.  Leaking should not be a concern as I will run all braided line, none of the press-fit stuff.

Not interested in Aqua-Mist.  Tried working with Pro Meth but the guy that answers the chat is a joke.
2015 SHO (non-PP) - Off-Road DPs, K&N Intake, OBX Catback, GH AO Tune, Aux Trans Cooler, H&R Springs, PP Shocks, PI Brakes, ScanGauge 2, Amsoil Fluids

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: craigtone on February 01, 2022, 04:43:30 PM

Not interested in Aqua-Mist.

If nothing else, check out their site/forum. Lots of good knowledge. They have the formulas to answer your questions. The reason I don't just give you an answer nozzle x here and nozzle y there, is because it depends on a few things like power expected, peak boost, pump pressure, number of jets, expected methanol mix, etc. Much easier for you to get the numbers and run them yourself.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

Ecoboost_xsport

I have some calculatiojnwizards on my Aquamist install.

https://www.fortheworkshop.com/aquamist-hfs4v3-1-direct-port-methanol-injection-system/

More direct link here:

https://www.fortheworkshop.com/aquamist-hfs4v3-1-direct-port-methanol-injection-system/#header06

And why is Aquamist likely the best and most advanced system out there?

https://www.fortheworkshop.com/pwm-v-versus-pps-methanol-systems/

Richard is a real engineer, has been doing this for a long time and before water injection was outlawed in WRC, they were the premiere company all the big race teams would use...

craigtone

Like I said before I am not interested in Aquamist. 

Thanks for the calc link Ecoboost_xsport ... that gives me a better idea of how to split them!