• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Drivers headlight turns off while driving

Started by Mml665, December 28, 2021, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mml665

So the newest adventure of owning an MKS is while driving the drivers headlight will turn off, when I cycle the headlight switch off then on to automatic the headlight will turn on again. Sometimes it happens often sometimes once or twice while driving at night.  So what parts should I check or test first?

Also passenger headlight is showing condensation in the lens, is it possible to reseal these headlights?

Macgyver

Do the head lights turn off in manual mode ? If they dont then its something to do with the light sensor.

Mml665

Quote from: Macgyver on December 28, 2021, 11:53:30 AM
Do the head lights turn off in manual mode ? If they dont then its something to do with the light sensor.
Well only the drivers headlight turns off, but I will test in manual mode tonight

Mml665

The drivers headlight shuts off in manual mode as well.

Tjamieson

Quote from: Mml665 on December 31, 2021, 12:58:44 AM
I have this exact same in my 2011 SHO. Been dealing with it for quite some time too. It

Mml665

Quote from: Tjamieson on January 06, 2022, 01:45:04 AM
Quote from: Mml665 on December 31, 2021, 12:58:44 AM
I have this exact same in my 2011 SHO. Been dealing with it for quite some time too. It
Any idea of what the cause could be?

Tjamieson

None whatsoever ever. Looked over fuses, done all the basic stuff troubleshooting and didn

SHOdded

have you replaced the bulbs or are they original to the vehicle? sometimes condensation is caused simply by an improperly seated bulb or dust cap.  dry it out with a hair dryer first, make sure bulb and cap are properly seated, then reevaluate.

MKS comes with HID standard I think.  if so, the ballast could be failing, or the headlamp switch/FLM could be.  each bulb is fused separately at 20A and likely is in the engine compartment fuse box (BJB). (Fusions have them in the passenger compartment lol.)  IME, fuses rarely blow, most times they need reseating. unless there is an external force like water, rust, dirt, etc.

one other possibility is the shutter inside the headlamp that switches high to low/vice versa.  might not be working correctly. make sure it is activating when commanded. do see these fail from time to time.

if you need a used headlamp, check ebay or car-part.com.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Mml665

Mml665

Sooooo finally an update. I changed the headlight bulbs and the issue is solved. Thank you everyone, yore advice is and was greatly appreciated

Macgyver

awesome. Thanks for the report back.