• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

RDU puking oil again

Started by Mksmark, December 20, 2021, 05:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mksmark

About 6 months ago i had the same problem and removed the pan and cleaned everything up and refilled with new fluid. Its not over filled. So now it pushing fluid out from the top again and I have no idea why? Any thoughts out there? Car has 110k and is a 2012 MKS

Mksmark

It still is coming out top and leaking on the garage floor at night. The car is driven by my wife and never raced, Yes we are old and it never sees long trips and we just drive it around town at low speeds. I have talked to some repair shops and they are talking about replacing the entire RUD or rear diff. It make no noise and has no other issues. The car runs perfect. I have been repairing my own cars for about 45 years and have never ran into a problem like this?

Macgyver

Quote from: Mksmark on January 11, 2022, 04:09:14 PM
It still is coming out top and leaking on the garage floor at night. The car is driven by my wife and never raced, Yes we are old and it never sees long trips and we just drive it around town at low speeds. I have talked to some repair shops and they are talking about replacing the entire RUD or rear diff. It make no noise and has no other issues. The car runs perfect. I have been repairing my own cars for about 45 years and have never ran into a problem like this?

When you say leaking or pushing out the top. How much ? I know it shouldnt be doing it at all.

SHOdded

how much fluid are you adding, and what fluid exactly are you using in the RDU?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Just out of curiosity .. is it cloudy? (contaminated?) 
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Mksmark

Quote from: Macgyver on January 12, 2022, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: Mksmark on January 11, 2022, 04:09:14 PM

When you say leaking or pushing out the top. How much ? I know it shouldnt be doing it at all.

It drops about 4 drops per night on the floor.

Mksmark

Quote from: SHOdded on January 13, 2022, 05:43:27 AM
how much fluid are you adding, and what fluid exactly are you using in the RDU?

Not adding any since the cleanout with rear cover removal. Motorcraft 80w-90 rear axle lubricant.

Mksmark

Quote from: TopherSho on January 13, 2022, 09:54:14 AM
Just out of curiosity .. is it cloudy? (contaminated?)

No its clear but is coming out the top of the breather.

jman

I had a bad breather on a Sienna AWD, dealer wanted to replace axle seals for more than $1k. I'm thinking that if your breather is not opening at the right internal pressure (caused by heat and expansion), it might be spilling out oil if it only opens at an "elevated" pressure. If that is the case, all you need is to get a new one.
Not sure if driving without it to test it will cause even more oil to leak out.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

Mksmark

Going to try that. I will see if I can remove it and clean it up as well or just replace it. I didn`t think there was any pressure there but who knows. Thanks for the help

Mksmark

Well before I could get to this problem, some idiot made a left turn right in front of my wife and now the car has $5000. worth of damage to the front end. She is fine.  I`m in the Chicago area and it looks like its going to take 3 months to get the dam thing fixed. I cant win.  :bangin:

SHOdded

ouch. hope you can figure rdu repair into the estimate ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!