• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 Flex 67k miles with a P0013 code

Started by Quinid, December 10, 2021, 12:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinid

For some reason, nothing comes up when I search for light code P0013 on these forums, and I'm not finding much info about it elsewhere other than it could be cam phaser or water pump.

Engine light started coming and going last week. Seems to come on when I remote start and let it idle to warm it up in freezing temps. So I scanned it, cleared the code then it came back 2 days later.
What I have done so far is I took it to a mechanic and specifically told him to check for water in the oil as he did an oil change. He got back with me today and he says he not only did not find any water, he went ahead and checked for coolant coming out of that seephole the water pumps have. He found no evidence of water pump failure.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what is the next step in troubleshooting this?
2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

Macgyver

BigAl1217

Most likely a failing timing chain/tensioner. possibly jumped a tooth, are you hearing a rattle on start up when cold?

SHOdded

i would check the wiring on the VCT solenoids. sometimes on this gen they wiggle loose and create codes like this.  hopefully that is all it is.

if not, i would look into the possibility of needing a water pump/timing job.  track VCT advance errors to help determine.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Quinid

Quote from: BigAl1217 on December 11, 2021, 03:58:40 PM
Most likely a failing timing chain/tensioner. possibly jumped a tooth, are you hearing a rattle on start up when cold?

A little bit. My taurus did it too so I ignored it.
I had the oil changed and told my mechanic to look for water in oil and to check if water is coming out of that water pump seep hole.
He claimed there are no signs of water pump failure.

But this morning a new code popped up as P0128. Which is basically saying the car is not warming up fast enough...
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod

Quinid

Rescanned this afternoon after work.
Code has changed to P0016 and P0128.

Will check wiring on those sensors. If it's not obvious, then I'm biting the bullet and taking to dealership. I dont have the garage space to remove the top half of the engine anymore.

SHOdded

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0128

may need to change thermostat as well ... do you have oem or Livernois or Reische tstat?

good luck, let us know!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Quinid

Sorry for late reply. Now the cam sensor codes are gone. Its now saying camshaft timing does not match crankshaft. Of course that disables my remote start.. So I parked it for the winter as I cant afford a $3k repair bill right now. The thermostat is stock and that warming up too slow code has never shown up again.

CarMax is offering $17k with the engine light on  with 69k miles so I think im gonna take it and run while the market is stupid. Ill continue waiting on my preorder of the the Cybertruck and Atlis XT, whichever contacts me first to pick it up. Until then I will drive this rusty 2000 F250 7.3L with 410k miles that just won't quit.