• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Idatalink MFT-1 Radio replacement (review)

Started by Quikv6, July 24, 2020, 11:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quikv6

Not sure if this is the correct spot to put this but here goes.

As most of you 13+ owners with Sync 2 know it is possibly the biggest downfall these cars have. I have been annoyed by this systems reliability since almost a year into ownership. I also enjoy upgrading sound system and this Sony system was by far the most difficult ever to get some decent sound out of at an increased volume. I've had everything from a audio control LOC to a JBL MS8 processor with so so results to finally the Rockford DSR-1 and that was decent at best.

About 6 months ago I started getting the 911 assist faults and occasionally no audio output. Sometimes the volume control would work other times it wouldn't. I went through all the forums and YouTube looking for a fix. It looked like the 2 issues were not related. Then the audio stopped for good and I could not access the am/fm/Bluetooth functions from the screen. The right side gauge cluster would also display audio off. I had a bad ACM (audio control module). Causing the audio issues but i also had a bad APIM (sync module) causing the 911 assist fault.

Options replace Apim with sync 3 still need to replace ACM and still stuck with subpar sound quality.
Tesla screen. From Phoenix audio or Rhino, I'll get preamp outputs and it will look cool. But I might lose heated/vented seat control and I have heard very.mixed reviews as far as quality on these cheapo Chinese tablets and shipping time has been ridiculous.

I tried just a used ACM but again I was stuck with a 7 year old part in order to get the numbers to match exactly and 911 assist faults were still present.

Enter Crutchfield. Just for shits and giggles I figured I would check out aftermarket options. I was unaware of any new kits but there it was. Idatalink MFT-1 interface for My Ford touch screens. There were 3 available replacement radios I could use. I checked  YouTube and Facebook to see if anyone had used these and found 1 person had tried it in a sho and was happy so far. I ordered a Kenwood excelon head unit with all needed installation parts Thursday and paid for overnight delivery so I could have it for the weekend.

Installation. It was really straight forward. The idatalink needs to be programed from a PC. I'm not the most computer savvy and I had it figured out in minutes. I watched a dash disassemble video and went to it.. This unit replaces sync all together. It also replaces the acm. The radio i ordered has apple car play and Android auto built in. I was also finally able to run RCA cables directly to my aftermarket amplifiers.

Everything works. There is a good level of setup in the radio itself. Vehicle options menus and more. The radio can display performance gauges, TPMS info, CEL codes, and more. It will control the climate control including heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel as well as ambient lighting and door lock codes.. Options just need to be toggled on. For anyone looking to upgrade sound, or fix an audio or sync issue. This system so far has been awesome.

2013 SHO +PP Custom dual feed intake, 160 t-stat, SW catless DP's, Hot pipes, Turbosmart BOV,  3bar & Snow Performance stage 3 methanol TUNED BY TORRIE Megan coilovers, Staggered wheels and tires.
2015 Roush Mustang VMP supercharged 750RWHP
2019 Ranger Lifted Mini Mall Crawler also Tuned by Torrie

SM105K

Can you please add a link and some pictures of your set up?
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Quikv6

2013 SHO +PP Custom dual feed intake, 160 t-stat, SW catless DP's, Hot pipes, Turbosmart BOV,  3bar & Snow Performance stage 3 methanol TUNED BY TORRIE Megan coilovers, Staggered wheels and tires.

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Macgyver

I'll be damned.

I got the Link a while back from Idata saying they had the FORD Sync locked down. Never figured it would work well.

On the other hand. I had a 2015 SHO for 3 years and never had one Sync 2 issue.

Quikv6

My 2015 Edge and 2015 Mustang are both good too. The Taurus was haunted or something.

SM105K

Quote from: Macgyver on July 24, 2020, 01:29:38 PM
I'll be damned.

I got the Link a while back from Idata saying they had the FORD Sync locked down. Never figured it would work well.

On the other hand. I had a 2015 SHO for 3 years and never had one Sync 2 issue.

I have only had one issue with my Sync 2. My audio didn't work once.  As soon as I turned the car off and then back on, it worked.

Quikv6

Macgyver

Dxlnt1

Awesome. The inability to add aftermarket stereo is what stopped me from considering moving up to a newer SHO. Now since its possible......

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint