• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

burnt oil smell off and on .. common leak points?

Started by TopherSho, September 30, 2021, 04:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

What are the common leak points for the 1st gen 3.5?  I have a burnt oil smell that is directly relatable to driving style.

drive soft,  no smell.  But if you idle for a long time and the air is on you might catch the tiniest whiff
drive hard,  then stop quickly it is a strong smell.

No smoke on accel or revving
No smoke from engine bay
no drips on the ground ever.

seems to leak a tiny drop or two under normal... and maybe like a good spoonful like you dribbled a smidge on the manifold ..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

So related to oil pressure ?

Turbo oil feed lines ?

TopherSho

Quote from: Macgyver on September 30, 2021, 05:07:44 PM
So related to oil pressure ?

Turbo oil feed lines ?

Found it .. I could not see any leaks topside,  and the snails were dry,  but I could see oil on the new splash guard using a spotlight.  So on a hunch I took it to the oil joint and sure enough the adapter the oil filter screws onto is leaking just a smidge.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

Awesome. Glad you found it.

I know I smelled burning oil on my 2015 SHO. My PTU breather line popped off at the trans case. I installed a filter at the end and must have tugged on the line too hard etc. A few weeks later. I smelled burning oil. Voila so its not always engine oil.