• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

15 Interceptor Sedan Ecoboost with GHT Tune - Engine Coolant Overtemp

Started by TonytheBrit, July 16, 2021, 12:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonytheBrit

I installed a basic 93 octane tune from GHTuning on my 15 Interceptor Sedan Ecoboost.  I love the tune - the power is noticeably up but the biggest improvement is the transmission which no longer seems 3 steps behind.  Of course the Interceptors don't have Sport Mode so this is more important with one of these.

My issue is that 3 laps out on Gingerman Raceway I'm getting an Engine Coolant Overtemp warning and code.  No other codes.  The cooling system seems OK and it has only happened on the track.  Anyone have any experience of this?  I could replace the temp sensor but it is a big job so I'm reluctant.  The digital temp gauge showed normal the whole time - but that doesn't move unless you are pretty much boiling I believe so may not mean anything.

If I do need to upgrade the cooling do you have any practical suggestions?

Macgyver

Tracking it puts a strain on the system for sure. You are really tracking it. Not just a drag strip. I would make sure the coolant is topped off. Maybe install 160/170 thermostats even tho they will be open and stay open on the track no matter what the stat temp is.

I would monitor the "true" coolant temp next time via the programmer or laptop and programmer and see if it is actually getting that hot to set it off.

Also. Make sure your engine oil is topped off all the way to max. Its not a dry sump racing system. I am no expert but I would hate to starve the motor in a hard braking corner because the oil sloshes to one side ? Not sure if they are prone to this or not.

Lastly. Maybe the GHT has the default temp lowered a bit for safeties sake?

Ta2dResqr

When was the last time coolant was changed? It does break down over time. You may also want to consider a coolant additive (such as Water Wetter, Purple Ice, etc). Installing a lower temperature thermostat or adjusting fan temps (within the tune) may help. Lastly, I would start looking at methods to contain or eliminate heat. Wrapping exhaust components or coolant pipes to lower underhood temperatures. Adding hood vents (true functional products). Methanol injection. Adding trans or PTU coolers. Everywhere you can lower temp will lower over all heat and allow the system to last longer before you have issues.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

SHOdded

on the 2.7, ford says to replace the ECT sensor and/or the knock sensor harness. how do the knock readings look in your datalog.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CDkqgarqkxrW8v6YemuiS2lyzgr-M363/view?usp=sharing
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!