• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Terrain Management System Fault - wrench light

Started by EcoHell, July 14, 2021, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoHell

Quote from: Macgyver on July 21, 2021, 05:07:00 PM
I could not get the BMS to relearn the new battery along with some minor issues. I solved my issues via letting it sit a few days on a trickle charger. Dont know why how etc but nothing worked except that. 

So you installed a new battery and shortly afterwards used the trickle charger?  Did it ever return afterwards?  how long ago has it been after the trickle charger? 

Thanks,
Bill

TopherSho

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

Quote from: EcoHell on July 22, 2021, 03:00:35 AM
Quote from: Macgyver on July 21, 2021, 05:07:00 PM
I could not get the BMS to relearn the new battery along with some minor issues. I solved my issues via letting it sit a few days on a trickle charger. Dont know why how etc but nothing worked except that. 

So you installed a new battery and shortly afterwards used the trickle charger?  Did it ever return afterwards?  how long ago has it been after the trickle charger? 

Thanks,
Bill

Yes and this was on a 2015 SHO. She sat 3 days if I recall. Fri Sat Sun then used for work on Mon morn. Just a basic trickle charger too.

EcoHell

Quote from: Macgyver on July 22, 2021, 03:37:23 PMYes and this was on a 2015 SHO. She sat 3 days if I recall. Fri Sat Sun then used for work on Mon morn. Just a basic trickle charger too. 

Ok.  Thanks.. I will hook one up tonight. 

EcoHell

Alright fellow Sport'ees, apparently the issue is fixed.  It is clearly a voltage issue.  After doing the battery reset, no more Wrench Light/Terrain Management System Fault.  I am still going to purchase a higher output alternator, as I would like to have my radio equipment installed.  I do not have any electrical accessories plugged in at the moment, except for the USB port for my phone. 

I will say this.. the owner's manual to conduct a battery reset is a little ridiculous.  If you want a chuckle take a read on page 296 on the left side.  If you need to ever reset your battery..read that page, then very quickly put the manual back in the case and throw it back in your glove box and forget about it.  Use the following method:

1) hit the start button without stepping on the brake..
2) flash your bright lights 5 times consecutively then quickly;
3) press firmly on your brake pedal 3 times

After this you will see your Battery light flash (I believe is 3 times), then you will see the Check Engine light flash (I believe it is 5-6 times).  Then you have to drive the vehicle 12 miles or in my case, let the vehicle sit for 4 days*. 

*I doubt it has to be 4 days, I did not need my vehicle those days, that was the only reason why it sat for that long.

Lastly, I will say this.. after doing the search on multiple forums and talking to my shop, if you ONLY have the Wrench light/Terrain Management System fault message come on, it will more and likely be a voltage issue.  Others had additional messages and lights come on, which unfortunately will be more than voltage issues. 

Anyhoot, hope this helps someone in the future if they have this issue.  BTW.. I just purchased and received another mod going on EcoHell.  Stay tuned..should be installed this week.

TopherSho

Good notes to keep under the hat,  thanks for the share and update!
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

EcoHell

All I can do is laugh at my predicament on the low voltage issue mentioned earlier.  I did purchase a high output alternator (Singer) shortly after my last post above.  Everything was working out great.. I left for NY this past Sunday from FL.  I drove straight through with no issues with EcoHell.  On Tuesday, I had to go to my other house which is about 45 minutes away.  In the middle of the drive, the damn Wrench Light came back on with the same issue(s) as described before.  Let's just say I was fuming, given the money I had spent while in FL.  While I was driving, I was thinking what it could be.. could it be the high output alternator took a s***, killing my new battery.  There was only two things plugged into the vehicle 1) USB cord charging my cell phone and 2) my node plugged into the 110 outlet in the 2nd row. 

While driving I unplugged both.

I made it to my other house.  I checked the battery with a voltmeter.  Battery was perfect..alternator was performing perfectly as well.  Then it hit me.. 

When I purchased EcoHell, I began modding at 700 miles.  One of those mods was...wait for it....the Pedal Commander.  There were other issues associated with this product, so I turned it off, but it remained connected. 

Took me all but 5 minutes to remove it and reconnect the stock connectors,  So, let's reflect a little.. purchased a brand new AGM battery and a high output alternator (over $1000), when it turned out to be the Pedal Commander causing the problem in the first place.  If it happens again..EcoHell may be traded in.. LOL. 

Anyhoot, my next mod is removing the roof rails.  Stay tuned for pics...

Also, did you guys receive the latest issues with our Sport?  Received in the mail there is an issue with the cooling fan...jeeezzz

SHOdded

plugins will do weird things, even obd II devices.  the communications bus can be very touchy, especially at startup when systems checks are running.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EcoHell

Incredible story to followup.  I emailed Pedal Commander to ask them if they had this particular issue with Ford Explorers or other vehicles.  I received a phone call from Pedal Commander (PC) hours later (they are located in CA).  They did have this very issue when off roading with radio equipment and created better RF protection connectors.  They are replacing my unit with the newer version. 

If you are ever wanting to mod your vehicle(s), to make your vehicle respond quicker (PC is not a tune), PC is for you, both in quality of product and great customer service.  Just note that when I first installed it I did run into an issue.  Only one other Explorer owner expressed the same issue.  I shared my experience in my thread about EcoHell.

Once I receive the newer unit, i will install it and advise in my other thread the outcome in both the issue mentioned above and the voltage issue regarding the All Terrain Management Fault light.

Once I uninstalled the PC, I have NOT had any more voltage issues with EcoHell. 

EcoHell

Quote from: SHOdded on October 03, 2021, 06:47:13 AM
plugins will do weird things, even obd II devices.  the communications bus can be very touchy, especially at startup when systems checks are running.

I learned the hardway.  I never thought about the PC, especially with the unit turned off when I was going through my issues.  It would have saved me lots of money, but it is done and water under the bridge.