• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Coolant

Started by craigtone, June 07, 2021, 01:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigtone

OK, first of all, guilty as charged ... just turned 101k and I never changed my coolant.  I'm old school from "green" days where you changed your coolant when the engine started to run hot.  Long story short my water pump went.  I have it torn down right now and yesterday my wife drives the H3 home and I watched it puke red fluid all over the driveway.  The trans cooler in the radiator failed.  The H3 has 170k BUT a replacement radiator!  Guess what ...Dexcool!  SO now 2 vehicles down due to Dexcool.  I have a 1953 Ford with green stuff from the 60's and it runs perfect.  I don't want to hear use "Motorcraft" it was designed for that.  BS!  I'm an engineer and believe in science.  There is MUCH better fluid and parts than those stamped "Motorcraft". 

Stepping off my soapbox ...

Does anyone run a coolant other than Motorcraft Orange (not counting those with Green originally)?  I saw Makuloco's video on Motorcraft Yellow which is PHOAT and that has me intrigued as the Asian car makers have been using PHOAT for decades with great success!  There is also a lot of universal stuff that has guarantees not to corrode aluminum or degrade rubber & silicon.

Sorry to stir the pot as it is a very touchy topic with not a lot of good info online other than marketing propoganda.  I'm looking for real-world usage from this forum since I need to flush and refill here soon and I am sure as hell not putting Motorcraft Orange back in!   ;D
2015 SHO (non-PP) - Off-Road DPs, K&N Intake, OBX Catback, GH AO Tune, Aux Trans Cooler, H&R Springs, PP Shocks, PI Brakes, ScanGauge 2, Amsoil Fluids

mrhighcaliber

I run Amsoil HD Coolant due to the water pump lubrication additives. It feels slick to the touch.

Motorcraft YELLOW is ford's new coolant. They're getting away from the rebranded dexcool (Motorcraft orange).

Dexcool turns very accidic as it ages. Deteriorating hoses, and making the plastics used in the cooling system very soft. I'm sure it does the same to the water pump seals.

These plastic and rubber coolant parts are from a dodge and a SAAB. Both deteriorating from the inside out causing leaks and the nipple to easily snap off. I could crumble the plastic like it was a cookie. The rubber hose was super soft as well.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

craigtone

You don't have to convince me!   ;D   After I pulled my pump you can see the seals were not in the best of shape and starting to deteriorate.

I'm never using DexCool again!  Not sure I want to run Amsoil, nothing wrong with it, just not a fan of the price since you have to pay for their marketing structure. 

I'm on the fence with Motorcraft Yellow or Universal from a reputable brand.  Out of warranty so that is not an issue ... I just want a good coolant that keeps it cool!  From what I read, it sounds like any of the current options will work just fine, pick your favorite brand I guess.  8)
2015 SHO (non-PP) - Off-Road DPs, K&N Intake, OBX Catback, GH AO Tune, Aux Trans Cooler, H&R Springs, PP Shocks, PI Brakes, ScanGauge 2, Amsoil Fluids

mrhighcaliber

Pretty much. Pick your 'name brand' poison. Im an Amsoil dealer but typically Zerex is my go to; both as a mechanic and engineer. Excellent quality coolant formulations.

I never cared about amsoil coolant...until I saw "water pump lubricates" on the label. I tried it, and after rubbing the coolant between my fingers, the engineer in me wouldn't allow me to use anything else. If you have an opportunity to get a jug and feel it, you'll be hooked. Especially after doing just 1 water pump on a transverse 3.5/3.7; marketing qualms with Amsoil aside.

But the Zerex is what I use in my other cars and most of my personal customer vehicles. Quite a few 200,000+mi on original water pumps. Highly recommend.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk