• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Electrical short under hood - no crank no start - security light

Started by Dakota Davies, June 02, 2021, 02:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Davies

Turned off my 2010 mkt for 15min to unload groceries, when I went to start it again I got a slow crank followed by smoke from front drivers corner under hood with strong burnt electrical smell. Can't find any blown fuses or melted wires, now when you hold the brake and push start the starter doesnt even attempt to engage, all electrics working as normal otherwise(windows arent slow lights arent dim). Tried jumpstarting today to no avail, but noticed the security light is flashing, ive put my fob in the slot and tried my spare. I have a livernois tune installed, should I try eeuploading the stock tune? Or does this sound familiar to anyone?
2010 MKT 3.5l eco
Livernois tune and cai
H&R lowering springs

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: Dakota Davies on June 02, 2021, 02:44:39 PM
I got a slow crank followed by smoke from front drivers corner under hood with strong burnt electrical smell

Something has burned up. If it was not a fuse or obvious wire, it is time to start tracing circuits. I would start with checking power to the starter. May be something simple like the starter. Reloading the tune will not do anything to fix a burned up component.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

Dakota Davies

I had wondered about that in conjunction with the security mode, guess I should have been more clear on that but, but thank you, thats the plan for this weekend. It would be easier to find if I could get it to do it again. Ive got my fingers crossed it is just the starter to be honest. Everything ive read about the security light flashing hasnt been reassuring though even if I fix the mechanical issue
2010 MKT 3.5l eco
Livernois tune and cai
H&R lowering springs

jman

I recently had a similar issue with my Mazda 6. The immobilizer wouldn't let me start the car.
After days of troubleshooting, found a burnt/overheated fuse holder. The part that is built into the engine's fuse box and that holds the fuse.
For the Mazda, the fuse box comes with the harness so it was a huge job to replace. Ended pulling the affected wires and adding an aftermarket fuse holder. Problem solved.
Remove all fuses and relays, one by one and check for burnt areas.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: Dakota Davies on June 03, 2021, 10:08:26 AMIt would be easier to find if I could get it to do it again.

Agreed. That's always the bad part about electronics. Once the factory installed smoke escapes, it is real hard to repeat.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer