• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Help Me Pick a Tuning Device

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, September 10, 2013, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

I am trying to sift through this forum and the web to choose the best tuning device and figure I would start a new thread to get actual user input. Here is what I am weighing my decision on:
-Who is the tuner for the tuning device?
-I do not have access to an AWD dyno, so datalogging could be very important if there are gains to be had over the canned tune.
-Price point
Thank you in advance for your opinions.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

EcoPowerParts

You have two choices but multiple tuners:
Livernois MyCal or the fancy MyCal. The cheaper MyCal can't datalog, the fancier one can BUT Livernois doesn't do a ton of tune revisions based off logging from what I've seen. More of a hey, here's our tune this is it type approach (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

SCT tuner which Livernois also tune for but prefers the MyCal due to their statement they can access additional tables for more HP. No info on the tables just additional tables.
Torrie from Unleashed tuningis currently the main SCT tuner besides Livernois and does do datalog tune revisions.
SCT has a long history of tuning/data logging etc. Within SCT you have multiple choices for tuning devices, the old 3015, iTSX which works on Android or Apple device or their new self contained tuner/data logger/display device.

I prefer the 3015 for data logging, the iTSX has issues with certain pids with my experience, I haven't used the new device from SCT and I'd rather use Torque for datalogging via Android for day to day monitoring of my car on my dash.

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

QwikSHO

So, what I am gathering (as I'm an Ecoboost n00b as well) is there is no DIY tuning available yet for our ECUs...it's all "get with your tuner" every time you need to fix your tune?

It's just disheartening that there's no open source tuning, so if I'm doing datalogging and I see knock I can't make adjustments myself.   Conversely if I'm out logging and see I can push the tune more, I can't do it myself.

EcoPowerParts

You can buy the proracer package from SCT, I didn't mention that. I've seen the tables and it's unlike anything I've seen before, so far I've been reluctant to try and guess. Also even with that purchase and support from SCT there is little information available from SCT on what tables to adjust. My friend is a dealer and called last year with no help what so ever when we wanted to tune my Flex locally.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

Also, Torrie lives in St. Augustine, which is about 60 mi from Sanford, FL, where SCT is located.

He is very responsive to your needs, and answers e-mails quickly. 
Most important to me is the quality of his Tranny tune, relative to all other tuners and stock.

Torrie has tuned both my "Brick" and my 09' G8 GT with SCT tuners.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

05yellowgt

I just did a check of other tuning platforms out there (Delta Force, HP Tuners, and a few other older solutions) and it appears that SCT and AIW (via Livernois) are the only two custom tuning options out there.  There are of course the Bullydogs, Banks, Superchips, and Edge programmers of the world are that they offer their canned tunes only.  There is no option to have them custom tuned to your vehicles specific mods and characteristics. 

I've personally used SCT products on several of my vehicles, from my 08 F150 with just an aftermarket intake, to my 2005 Mustang, which went from bolt on mild to 900+hp supercharged, E85 drinking street terror, to my Ecoboost Flex, to now my Ecoboost F150 with good results all around.  I even tuned the 08 F150 and the Mustang (with a good deal of help once it got more towards the 900hp version of that car) using SCT software.  The Livernois MyCal seems to be a good product, BUT you won't have any option beyond Livernois if you decide you are unhappy with their tuning or support, or just decide that you want to sample tunes from another vendor, due to the MyCal being a totally proprietary product.  I've asked about that makes the Livernois MyCal tuning better than if they did the same tune via SCT, and the response I got was simply that they didn't tune F150 Ecoboosts with SCT.  I would really like to know more about the addtional access to the PCM code that has been mentioned before over what SCT can do before I would make the investment in their tuner, but that is partially because I already had my SCT tuner from my Flex.

My overall suggestion to you would be to reach out to the vendors/tuners that you are interested in and have a conversation with them.  You want to be comfortable with the people you are getting your tunes for as you may well end up having to work with them on remote tuning sessions to dial in your combo.  I wouldn't be concerned about not having access to an AWD dyno because you can get a very good tune from datalogging on the street.  You won't get a hp and tq number that way, but if you plan on taking your car/truck to the track you can see the results there.
2010 Ford Flex Limited w/Ecoboost- SOLD
2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew 6.5ft bed Ecoboost w/3.55