• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

I think I hurt the PDSHO.

Started by PDSHO, April 19, 2021, 10:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDSHO

Hello, my 2013 Taurus Police sedan with 3.5 EB engine has been very reliable and trouble free until last week. I have 178K for miles and have driven 50K since I have owned it.
I first noticed a few little poof sounds while driving normally, especially when I would have low throttle and let off or a trans. shift.
Then yesterday I was driving and stepped on it and felt a lack of power.
So close to my house I spooled it up and full on launched from a stop and things sounded bad, no turbo sweetness, and when I looked out the rearview I was spewing a lot of blue smoke.
I limped her home and looked under the hood, no lines looked askew, all piping looked good and normal from above. Oil level is normal.
I'm afraid I may have blown a turbo or two. Ideas?
I'm all ears!
Thanks Greg

2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

Macgyver

Blue smoke or white smoke. In a panic. Its easy to see one or the other.

PDSHO

Definitely blue smoke, and lots of it.
It uses very little oil and I have never seen a puff of smoke from it before.
I took it in to a shop for diagnosis today, they will look at it tomorrow.

SHOdded

Sounds like turbo to me.  Have you ever inspected the piping or the cooler?  Did pretty well for 200k miles.  I would look into how the timing system is doing also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

PDSHO

Got my estimate from a pretty reputable shop, using new Ford turbos, possibly needing exhaust manifolds, replacing water pump and checking timing system, adding upgraded valve cover. $4500-6000.
That is getting into exceeding the value of the car. Then I could face a PTU failure at any time with that many miles!
So I'm leaning toward letting it go and finding a police explorer.
Thoughts?

Greg

ridered74

Quote from: PDSHO on April 23, 2021, 07:09:10 PM
Got my estimate from a pretty reputable shop, using new Ford turbos, possibly needing exhaust manifolds, replacing water pump and checking timing system, adding upgraded valve cover. $4500-6000.
That is getting into exceeding the value of the car. Then I could face a PTU failure at any time with that many miles!
So I'm leaning toward letting it go and finding a police explorer.
Thoughts?

Greg

I wouldn't put that kind of money into a car with that many miles on it. Besides ptu there are quite a few expensive things that could pop up at any time with those miles and once you put several grand into it you would almost feel obligated at that point to keep dumping money into it trying to get your value back.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

PDSHO

I picked the car up and will probably part it.
I don't know what it is worth as is, a mechanic at the repair shop offered me $700. I passed.
My son wants the Police Steel wheels for winter use on his Explorer Sport.
Are there parts on this car that are in demand?
Thanks Greg

Bronco2fan

Not to sound like that guy, but.  Used car and new car prices are soaring. Chip availability driving the prices and manufacturers only building high selling models. 5K to repair is a blow, but 10 to 15k to replace vehicle, if you can find one is high too. Plus you already know this vehicle will be done, with warranty.  Just saying.  Good luck regardless of your decision.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

PDSHO

Thanks Bronco2fan, I have been running all that thru my head, and also there is the fact that I really enjoy driving the car.
But I had to face reality in that it is an old Cop car with 180K on it.
I started thinking about other expensive failures that could be right around the corner, PTU, Steering section, trans, rear-end etc.
I am curious if anyone has attempted this repair themselves, using rebuilt turbos from CRP Engineering.
I have mechanics in my family that would help me.
Greg

Bronco2fan

That's one of the main reasons I like the SHO too, such a fun car to drive and it's all wheel. Really came in handy during the ice storms here in Feb.  It and the Grand Cherokee are my winter rides lol.

I'm sure they are write ups all over on how to do the work. Have you checked the SHO Forum too? [size=78%]SHO Forum[/size] Lots of help there. I think you'll figure it out.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

PDSHO

A short update, I ended up selling the PDSHO to fellow who wants to fix it. I advised him not to drive it the 25 miles to his place, as the mechanic told me driving it broken would be bad.
There was a little language barrier so not sure he understood, there was a very large/long trail of blue smoke down my country road as it left.
I hope he made it!
So I replaced the Taurus with a 2014 Police Explorer with 3.7, runs and drives fine 112k on it. Already missing the power, halfway looking for another Eco-boost cruiser.

Macgyver

Quote from: PDSHO on May 23, 2021, 10:40:55 PM
So I replaced the Taurus with a 2014 Police Explorer with 3.7, runs and drives fine 112k on it. Already missing the power, halfway looking for another Eco-boost cruiser.

Yes the SHO power is real for the price.