• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Trans "leak" from vent in fill cap

Started by Cobra93, April 10, 2021, 12:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra93

I've been lurking since I first saw the 13 sho. This is my first post. I purchased a '17 sho in march of 2020.
The past 3 oil changes (5,000 mi.) I've noticed the plastic valve body cover was moist as well as the bottom of the trans. It looks like there is trans fluid coming out of the vent in the fill cap.
I've search for this issue, but the only thing that seems to come up on the 6f55 is the seal leak on the output shaft and where the two trans halves are bolted together.

I had considered using carb cleaner or brake clean to out what I assume is a "sponge" in the cap that has gotten clogged allowing pressure to build up, but I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone else has had this occur and what the fix was.Thanks, Joe.
2017 SHO PP stock for now.

Skamperone

Im a NB as well. I seeing the same on my 2016 F SHO as well. ODD. I  Wiped area down and check the fluid level with NO leakage.
Brought it up to attention of dealership but they "blew it" off. So Im doing a weekly check to C if that keeps staying "moist".

Macgyver

Cobra93

I'm 99% sure this is where the leak is from. The underside of the cap/dipstick is covered in fluid and anything that has stuck to it.The neck on the valvebody cover is the highest point that is wet. The fluid/ wet area is down the front of the plastic cover, then covers the underside of the trans. Both the trans plugs, drain and pressure test port, have red fluid on them. I had to add 1 quart of motorcraft mercon lv fluid on yesterdays oil/filter change.

Third gear seems to be where the torque converter locks up, which seems to take a long time, 3-4 seconds when accelerating at 1/2 throttle after it shifts to third.I also seem to get a "surge" or "stutter" under 1/2 or more throttle in third gear.

I changed the plugs (which looked okay) but it didn't stop this either. It only occurs every now and then. The plugs that were in it @ 45,000mi. were sp-534, I thought these were old, back in '13 plugs. My searching lead me to sp-580, so that's what I put in.I have 65,000mi on it now and have the esp warranty till 125,000mi.

I have never had a good experience at a dealership, ever. which is why I am hesitant to take it in to have it looked at.I want to get this sorted out because a gearheads tune is something I'd like to do this summer.

Macgyver

I am sure it is there just making sure.

I had my PTU vent hose come off the barb at the PTU casing and had "Wet" on the underside of the SHO and the under cover.

Easy fix for me.

Cobra93

I found a replacement dipstick/cap for $11.52. I think I'll try that and see if it makes any difference.If it doesn't, I guess I'm off to the dealer.Thanks for the replies.