• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tracking an oil leak

Started by Gorgon_SHO, April 04, 2021, 01:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgon_SHO

I have done quite a few searches to figure this out to no avail. I have a small oil leak I need help diagnosing. At first I thought the leak was just coming from the oil pan or even the drain plug itself, but I have tracked to this part on the front of the engine. I just don't know what it is. Oil pump? My repair manual doesn't seem to tell me what this is either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2012 SHO - Non-PP
-- Unleashed power package with 3 Bar Sensor and 91 Performance Tune
-- mDesign Cold Air Intake

Gorgon_SHO

Here's another pic. I've circled what I'm talking about.

2012 SHO - Non-PP

Gorgon_SHO

This doesn't make any sense. I think this is the AC compressor...
2012 SHO - Non-PP

Gorgon_SHO

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't figure this out, I'll be taking the car into the mechanic. Might need to do that anyway, depending on the problem.

It doesn't look like the leak is coming from anything above that AC compressor. Is there some sort of seal near there that could be causing this?

Here are more pics.

2012 SHO - Non-PP

Gorgon_SHO

So the slow leak comes to almost a complete stop after the car is left to sit for a bit. Then when I take it for a spin around the block it starts right back up.

I was able to stick my phone down in front of the engine to get a better look.

Would any of these spots possibly be my problem area?

2012 SHO - Non-PP

Gorgon_SHO

All right, well after a bit more photos I think maybe this is a bad oil pressure switch. I see wuite a bit of buildup on the oil pressure sending unit and the oil seems to be dripping down from this area.

When an oil pressure switch goes bad, does it leak like this?

I'm considering trying to replace the switch myself since they are so inexpensive. Anybody have any advice here?

2012 SHO - Non-PP

Gorgon_SHO

This final post is for posterity.

It was indeed a bad oil pressure sending unit. I was able to record video of the leak while the car was running. I then replaced it with some struggles by reaching the area from underneath the car.

Anyway, this is now posted just in case someone else has the same problem in the future.
2012 SHO - Non-PP