• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU going bad

Started by rdmccrary, March 30, 2021, 07:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdmccrary

So, my PTU has started to fail, changed fluid which accelerated the failure.   So, ordered a new PTU, but need to drive the car until it arrives and can get the work done.

My mechanic says to remove the driveshaft while waiting to get repair done, and continuing to drive it.  Anyone done that?   Looks possible, two flanged connections.   I drive a daily 100 mile round trip to and from job.

thanks for the info.

jman

Curious to know what are the symptoms. How do you know is going bad?

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

Macgyver

Quote from: rdmccrary on March 30, 2021, 07:20:43 AM
My mechanic says to remove the driveshaft while waiting to get repair done, and continuing to drive it.  Anyone done that?   Looks possible, two flanged connections.   I drive a daily 100 mile round trip to and from job.

thanks for the info.

Some guy dragged his with FWD only but that was a special setup over in Saudi Arabia I think. I cannot see it being good for the car. The PTU is always spinning anyway just without a load ?

rdmccrary

Ford tech helped me with the car, we put on a lift and swapped out fluid.   Lots of metal in it.   Then ran it on the lift.  Its failing.   No noise when cold, but lots of noise when up to temp.  Puked out some new fluid too the next day on my commute.   Rear diff fluid changed too, it was ok.  Rear wheel bearings/hubs ok too.  As long as the PTU is not connected to the rear end, it will just spin with the tranny, no harm in that short term as long as no one else has had an issue.

As for pulling around by the fronts, that's what a regular FWD Taurus does. !!   

Tech says he sees some of these AWD platforms come in with the driveshaft out.  Plus, might as well put downpipes and new exhaust on it while taking out the driveshaft.  I can do all that.    Bought an extended warranty to cover the PTU.   :)   Local Ford dealer wants $2000 to replace PTU, nuts.   

TopherSho

When my ptu went it cracked the case,  then went full limp mode.  You may not be able to drive on it. :( 
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SilvererSHO

Quote from: rdmccrary on March 30, 2021, 07:20:43 AM
So, my PTU has started to fail, changed fluid which accelerated the failure.   So, ordered a new PTU, but need to drive the car until it arrives and can get the work done.

thanks for the info.

A sane man wouldn't drive it faster than 1-2 mph across a parking lot maybe....  When the PTU went out on my wife's SEL she was just putzing around in town and it split the case.  Guys have had them punch into the tranny case when they go also.  Did I heed my own advice?  Well, of course not.  I drove it 10-15 mph to my mechanic 8 miles out of town with her following me in my SHO.  The only time she's driven it in over the three years I had it at the time. ;)   When I got there I could no longer back up.  Wasn't thinking of that when I pulled into their lot.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SHOdded

how goes it?

removing the driveshaft is possible and safe.  it will at least save the RDU, but as noted above, the PTU is still putting a monkey wrench in the works.  so if you elect to do this, drive conservatively until such time you can replace the PTU. if it is going to be months out, changing the fluid frequently may help ... or not.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!