• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stealership quoted me 8 hours to change ptu fluid

Started by mike2225, March 27, 2021, 03:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike2225

I had an appointment at the local Ford dealership to replace the rear toe links under recall. Out of curiosity I asked how much to drain and fill my ptu, service manager came out and said 8 hours to do the job correctly. They told me the ptu has to be completely removed from the car in order to do the job..I immediately laughed in his face and asked if people actually pay that. He replied "of course, all the time". I truly hope none of you out there pay that
2015 SHO w/ PP  AJP Turbo 93 tune

bpd1151

Ha! A farce indeed.

The entire PTU does NOT have to be removed 1st of all.

Secondly, the job in and of itself, takes between 30-45min. TOPS.

So you laughing in their face was the absolute most  appropriate response to their bu!!$hit.

Carry on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Macgyver

Unreal.

I bet if you saw their shop manual. The Manual would be laughing.

ridered74

I do that for the engine oil. Remove motor from car, drain oil and replace filter, add more oil and then put motor back in car.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

Macgyver

Quote from: ridered74 on March 27, 2021, 11:50:51 PM
I do that for the engine oil. Remove motor from car, drain oil and replace filter, add more oil and then put motor back in car.

Hahahaha.

Make sure you Spot Weld the drain plug back in. Dont want it to vibrate out.

mike2225

I thought some of you would get a kick out of that!! I did try and tell him that is wasn't necessary to remove the ptu, but he didn't want to hear it, I think I offended him when I laughed at him 🤣🤣

PDSHO

I called my dealer 4 months ago about that recall, said they would call me when parts were in. So far crickets!

Greg
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

mike2225

Quote from: PDSHO on March 29, 2021, 02:07:40 PM
I called my dealer 4 months ago about that recall, said they would call me when parts were in. So far crickets!

Greg
I did the same thing a few months back, never got a call.. I just happened to be at the ford dealership looking at a used car that was on their lot and went inside after and asked about it and they made an appointment a few days later

SHOdded

they will usually say remove/reinstall the ptu if there is no drain plug.  IF you were to do this, there are plenty of bulletins from Ford to show how much time that would take. typical is 5 hours.

talk with the transmission guy directly, they are better with such things than service advisors.  OR find a Lincoln dealership, they are much more used to servicing the "differentials".
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mike2225

Quote from: SHOdded on April 02, 2021, 07:27:39 AM
they will usually say remove/reinstall the ptu if there is no drain plug.  IF you were to do this, there are plenty of bulletins from Ford to show how much time that would take. typical is 5 hours.

talk with the transmission guy directly, they are better with such things than service advisors.  OR find a Lincoln dealership, they are much more used to servicing the "differentials".
I assume thats why they told me it needed to come out,I just found it amusing they wanted nearly 1k to change out the fluid.. The local mechanic I just visited quoted me 2 hours labor to remove/install new downpipes and change the ptu fluid.

Daniel Johnson

Who would change the fluid at 8hrs labor?  It wouldn't take too many fluid changes negate just having the PTU replaced when it failed...

GotGrip?

Cost me $15 to have my PTU done yesterday I brought fluid along.
2016 SHO Non-PP, GH/AJP E30 Tune,3Bar MAP, K&N Typoon, EPP Noisemaker Delete, H&R Springs, ZEDD SL5 19x9.5, PS Drilled/Slotted rotors, TreadStone TR8C FMIC, SSM Trans Mounts, TCE Custom Catted DPs, FMIC Sprayer, XDI35

Current Dyno: 421/503 (pre-dp/XDI)

ThePresidential

they drill and tap it, flush and service it, then weld the hole back up. Lol which would be 3 hours max still.
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

irondoor19

Better Yet:
Pull Up my post to drill it,and Show it to them,Bring your onw Plug and Bits, Taps
So even an MORON Could do it in 2 Max (charge you for 4)DA's

2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,