• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2012 ecoboost f150 going whoosh whoosh whoosh

Started by vroom, March 26, 2021, 08:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vroom

well I can NOT figure out what the issue could be, checked for boost leaks and found a huge one on the Y intake tubes. fixed that and figured the issue will go away but it's still there.
truck has practically new turbos on both sides and also the actuators are new.
what could I check for aside from vacuum leak or boost.
im kinda stumped here.
thanks,

TopherSho

Do you have a means of data logging ?   if the ECU is commanding the dump you can fix things all day and still have the issue.

most common issues
--weak seals on the BoV .. VERY common on high mileage vehicles... TBH unless you grandma it around you should replace both at or before 100k for G&Gs IMO

--to much boost forcing ecu to dump boost

--bad boost solenoid controller, not opening the wastegates soon enough, forcing ECU to dump pressure out the BOV
   --bad wastegate,  stuck closed building pressure under even the smallest throttle forcing ECU to dump pressure out the BOV
  --bad MAP sensor, bad high pressure, reading forcing ECU to dump pressure out the BOV

--loose lines on the boost solenoid controller.
  --globs of oil in the boost lines,  causing all sorts of weirdness

it is a lot to diagnose .. you might be better served to take it in ..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

vroom

I guess im kind of ruling out anything that ford dealership had apart when they changed out the turbos and actuators.
I testing the actuator solenoids with a 9v battery, they click and function like they should.
I had it smoked but only with .5 PSI, will have it checked with a High PSI smoke machine and check if anything is leaking.
one thing I notice is. while the truck was cold, first couple miles it seemed normal. once it heated up it started the whoosh whoosh.
yes I have a scan tool, what could I watch for with that?

TopherSho

if it can .. monitor the Wastegate%   and or the Desired boost in kPa ... see if they are fluctuating WITH the sound .. if it is the ECU is commanding it..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

vroom

I didn't find an actual boost monitor on it. but the waste gate percent from what remember had these spikes. but im not 100 percent certain so I will check again.