• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Verdict : Torrington bearing on the way out.

Started by TopherSho, March 25, 2021, 12:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on April 30, 2021, 09:56:29 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on April 28, 2021, 07:29:25 PM
verdict : Torrington bearing is on the way out.  Lucky me .. :(
not sure if that is a part type or a company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrington_Company
maybe generic like Xerox for copy.

Dude is pretty old school .. it is likely akin to needle bearings or some such.. I looked up ''torrington'' and found different info. But I do know the tranny is bad.. it is a fact i knew going in so im not doubting their verdict or the call on the tranny bearing toast.. as for that  ''part''.. it is a new term to me ....
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Admin

Quote from: TopherSho on April 28, 2021, 07:29:25 PM
verdict : Torrington bearing is on the way out.  Lucky me .. :(

So I am assuming that means a rebuild? Any thoughts on looking into Level 10 for upgrades? 

https://www.levelten.com/

Macgyver

I know a person with a different platform. Nissan. They got a level 10 Trans. It turned out to be just a Junkyard trans cleaned up with a "Upgraded" Valve pack. As far as I am concerned. They are a Joke compared to what they once were.

TopherSho

Quote from: Macgyver on May 03, 2021, 08:33:00 PM
I know a person with a different platform. Nissan. They got a level 10 Trans. It turned out to be just a Junkyard trans cleaned up with a "Upgraded" Valve pack. As far as I am concerned. They are a Joke compared to what they once were.

Ford Remanned on the way in ..  I looked into the ''built'' options and I just could not trust them enough. I am done with this platform so this will be the last fix. I hope to get 2 more years with AJP's last tune update + the high flow CATS then I will either set it on fire or trade it in for a Tesla dual motor something on the second hand tesla circuit or a SRT8 that is built from the get-go. 
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Macgyver

Yeah I am intrigued with a Fast electric. I am sure they are a blast to drive.

TopherSho

And back on the road now.  Took for damned ever.  Solved the issue. 

That is the last major repair :(  next major breakdown is game over for this platform.  It is a hoot.. but this is a just a huge money drain. 

TopherSho

*final update on this thread*

Finally figured out what made the last tranny fail. In talks with the Tranny tech at ford the tear down revealed : Apparently there is a 'wavy' disk in the clutch pack that was not as wavy anymore.

Cause : possible of three

(1) "to many hard launches" with to many people in the car.  like the hellcats and over-tuned SRTs if you do hard launches with a car full of people and to much grip and not enough 'give' in the suspension and drivetrain it just overstresses the components.  and this one failed.  you can get away with it many times.. but it will fail eventually.  I admit, I have hard launched with 3 passengers on many occasions. not like dozens.. but definitely done it a bakers dozen or more.

(2) I ran it to hard 'cold' and the fluid did not protect said wavy disk, fluid flows slower and thicker colder, and he theorized if i ran it too hard cold the fluid simply did not flow fast enough to pull heat out of the disk,  or it just did not flow fats enough and it got hot, soft and got smooshy.  >but this I do not do. like SBS,BPD,FoMoCoSho I wait 15 minutes of actual travel time before hammering it<

(3) the ''1st tuner'' I had did not put in torque control on shifts .. and it got banged up in the 1st few YEARS of drag racing at PIR and WoodBurn and just elected to eat the disk a bit later in life..

Admin

Quote from: TopherSho on June 22, 2021, 01:17:19 PM

Finally figured out what made the last tranny fail. In talks with the Tranny tech at ford the tear down revealed : Apparently there is a 'wavy' disk in the clutch pack that was not as wavy anymore.

(1) "to many hard launches" with to many people in the car.  like the hellcats and over-tuned SRTs if you do hard launches with a car full of people and to much grip and not enough 'give' in the suspension and drivetrain it just overstresses the components.  and this one failed.  you can get away with it many times.. but it will fail eventually.  I admit, I have hard launched with 3 passengers on many occasions. not like dozens.. but definitely done it a bakers dozen or more.

(2) I ran it to hard 'cold' and the fluid did not protect said wavy disk, fluid flows slower and thicker colder, and he theorized if i ran it too hard cold the fluid simply did not flow fast enough to pull heat out of the disk,  or it just did not flow fats enough and it got hot, soft and got smooshy.  >but this I do not do. like SBS,BPD,FoMoCoSho I wait 15 minutes of actual travel time before hammering it<

(3) the ''1st tuner'' I had did not put in torque control on shifts .. and it got banged up in the 1st few YEARS of drag racing at PIR and WoodBurn and just elected to eat the disk a bit later in life..

Wow. Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop! That is certainly some interesting information. Hopefully you get everything buttoned backup soon!!

I have heard stories on other platforms of failures due to too much weight from the passengers during launch. Crazy but true.

TopherSho

Quote from: Admin on June 23, 2021, 07:30:00 AM

Wow. Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop! That is certainly some interesting information. Hopefully you get everything buttoned backup soon!!

I have heard stories on other platforms of failures due to too much weight from the passengers during launch. Crazy but true.

Interesting side note,  the tranny .. the fill spout is now 'tilted'  and not flat and flush on the new tranny case .. and the tech filled the fluid level up to the TOP of the metal 'slug' that the fill/full markings is on.  Which is coincidently EXACTLY where I had to have my old one filled to keep the tranny from ''letting go'' on hard launches and ''chattering'' in 1st gear.

Admin

Quote from: TopherSho on June 23, 2021, 02:24:46 PM

Interesting side note,  the tranny .. the fill spout is now 'tilted'  and not flat and flush on the new tranny case .. and the tech filled the fluid level up to the TOP of the metal 'slug' that the fill/full markings is on.  Which is coincidently EXACTLY where I had to have my old one filled to keep the tranny from ''letting go'' on hard launches and ''chattering'' in 1st gear.

Did they rebuilt or replace the transmission?

TopherSho

Quote from: Admin on June 24, 2021, 02:08:57 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on June 23, 2021, 02:24:46 PM

Did they rebuilt or replace the transmission?

Replace with 'Ford authorized' reman unit.

TopherSho

Additional follow up.. this new tranny is behaving WAY better then the OEM unit.  Shifts like butter when cruising .. crisp under load.

Macgyver

Quote from: TopherSho on June 26, 2021, 03:59:22 PM
Additional follow up.. this new tranny is behaving WAY better then the OEM unit.  Shifts like butter when cruising .. crisp under load.

That is great news

6500rpm

Your Ford ReMan should have all the latest updates included, so any identifiable problems in the past years should be corrected out of the box.
I've been inside these, and although I'm not a dedicated  transmission Tech, I'm inclined to believe the noise cant be related to the clutch pack wave washer as it's  strictly related to apply but it's a mute point now that you've replace it. Most likely bearing  or planetary gear related.
The tool your dealer was talking about is commonly referred to as  chasis ears. It's a  series of mictophones that can be placed on different points/components and as the noise is happening you switch microphones to identify the area of concern, move them in closer and repeat to pinpoint what's generating the sound.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

TopherSho