• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Verdict : Torrington bearing on the way out.

Started by TopherSho, March 25, 2021, 12:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

I had the splash guard off because it is busted .. and taking it off has revealed a cyclical ''whirring/whining noise'' on deceleration only in third gear.

it pulses rapidly in PITCH, and it correlates to vehicle speed,  slower speed = less swings in volume and pitch,  faster = more volume and pitch
going up a gear stops the noise
going down a gear stops the noise
going to neutral stops the noise

the trans shifts fine between gears in manual mode and auto mode .. no hesitation or slow shifts

I assume it is NOT a solenoid.. but in the off chance anyone has heard this noise i thought id reach out and see what everyone says .. TY in advance.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

Being 3rd gear only takes away the CV joints.

NM you said cyclical. I misread clicking lol

TopherSho

Car in dealership for diagnosis.. fingers crossed for a solenoid control pack.. but logic says the rhythmic nature says bearings and
That I'm boned.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho

Ford tech thinks the bearings on #3 are done.  To much torque .. :D  Were tearing it down to review.  ... many days no car ... luuuuuuaaaaammmmmeee.

?rent a mustang? ... hmm

Macgyver

Oh man. You are the first here with that issue. That sucks.

Rent a Fiesta. Then you will appreciate your car more when you get it back. LOL

SHOdded

may be a blessing in disguise. some gen 5's had issues with 3-5-R (posted in an SSM by Ford), so it is a good time to discover any other weaknesses.  including torque converter, pump, etc. a true rebuild will be worth it, even tho heavy duty components are not really available.  unless bpd has an update 4 us :)

tss/oss/solenoid body replacement or at least verified.  valve body cleaning.

good luck.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on April 02, 2021, 07:02:10 AM
may be a blessing in disguise. some gen 5's had issues with 3-5-R (posted in an SSM by Ford), so it is a good time to discover any other weaknesses.  including torque converter, pump, etc. a true rebuild will be worth it, even tho heavy duty components are not really available.  unless bpd has an update 4 us :)

tss/oss/solenoid body replacement or at least verified.  valve body cleaning.

good luck.

Got a guy in town who refuses to run under 600hp on his '11 .. he has done in 3 trannys.. ALL have failed due to third gear.  His grandparents own/run a tranny shop so he just rips it out and rebuilds it. 

I think mine failed because I ran it too much in manual mode, and did too many pulls in 3rd from 2200-2500 to red line in the VERY early tuning days before knowing any better.  I'm sure i shortened the ever living crap out of them.  Add to that flooring it from OD to 3rd at 70-ish mph probably induces a lot of stress as well.  Tranny made it to 95k .. tbh i'm not surprised given the early abuse.   It also seems like these trans with the non-servicable filter start having greatly increasing odds of general failure after 120k.  given how much i drive that would be only two more years. :P

cost of doing business in the tuning game. (  :'(  cry... so so costly)

Macgyver

Yeah that sucks.

I guess once you do it once. Its easy after that cept on the wallet.

TopherSho

Ford is stumped like I am .. but now i have a audio file! I clamped an old cell phone r under the car and recorded it.  anyone have an idea based on the sound ??

Attached is a WAV/Audio file .. if you play it on a pc/mac and tun it up a little you can hear the noise from 13 seconds to 20 seconds the most clearly.

This noise is the most pronounced if you let off the gas and coast.  if you coast long enough in third .. it downshifts to 2nd on its own and the noise stops.

Any thoughts?  I do not think TQ converter or planetary since the noise stops in any other gear as far as I can tell.. its a weird issue.

Here is a youtube link to the audio... the audio file may not play since I had to name it mpg to upload it
https://youtu.be/xHjwErlCzzE

Admin

I am not a mechanic, but surely sounds rotational to me..

TopherSho

Quote from: Admin on April 09, 2021, 01:40:22 PM

Agree .. But only in Third.  Bad news bears ..

TopherSho

Quote from: Admin on April 09, 2021, 01:40:22 PM

Wait .. are you suggesting a wheel bearing?  The shop manager also ''sorta'' hinted at a wheel bearing .. but could not explain the noise stopping in 2nd or 4th.

TopherSho

Ford has taken 30 days to order a stethoscope ... but they now think the issue is a PTU that is less then 24 months old o.0 .. they will do a test drive with the ''ears'' as the tech called it later today .. or at least they say ..

Fingers crossed.  Ptu is chump change ..

TopherSho

verdict : Torrington bearing is on the way out.  Lucky me .. :(

SHOdded

Quote from: TopherSho on April 28, 2021, 07:29:25 PM
verdict : Torrington bearing is on the way out.  Lucky me .. :(
not sure if that is a part type or a company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrington_Company
maybe generic like Xerox for copy.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!