• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 MKS all fluid consensus

Started by Big_kat, March 23, 2021, 06:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

Quote from: Big_kat on April 25, 2021, 07:01:10 PM
After a lot of research, I'm gonna use Castrol Magnatec full synthetic for my next oil change. I had already ordered a Wix XP filter, so I'm gonna use that, but likely going back to a MC filter after this OCI

I bought mine with 41,000 miles on it.  Went with 5w-30 Magnatec as soon as I got it and now have 114,000 miles.  I had my waterpump done at 91,000 miles and they said the chains, guides all looked good but we replaced the entire works minus the phasers anyways.  I had them scope the intake valves and they looked great too.  I went with Magnatec because of all the good oil sample reports on Bob is the oil guy website from the F-150 guys.  I can always find 5 quart jugs under $20.  I suck 4 or 4.5 quarts out at 4,000 and replace.  Full oil change and filter at 7,500 miles.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SilvererSHO

Quote from: Macgyver on April 01, 2021, 11:17:55 AM
Oh. I extended my PTU vent hose and used a Meat Baster syringe to fill the PTU through the vent hose. Warmed the oil so it was thinner. I found it easier. You can measure precisely too. ;-)

Huh?  I have tried that and I can't get it to drain into the PTU.  I've stayed on top of my PTU and I've never had any oil puke from it so I don't think the air vent is plugged.  Did you remove anything to be able to drain oil into it?  I planned on adding 8 ounces or so right before an oil change and driving across the lawn to my shop and just draining the excess from the PTU during the oil change when I'm under the car vs. sucking it out which is a PIA as we all know.

SilvererSHO

Quote from: Big_kat on April 04, 2021, 01:43:26 PM
Tackled the RDU and PTU today. To my knowledge the RDU fluid has never been changed, didn't look terrible or smell burned. It was quite dark though.

RDU fluid:

I was able to get the the PTU without removing the tire. I was only able to get about 8oz out of it though. I think I need a smaller diameter tube to get all the way down to the bottom of the unit. I just filled it back up until it started coming out of the fill hole.

PTU plug and fluid:

Thankyou to everyone for all the help!
Also what's the difference in extending the vent tube? Is there a benefit?

Don't remove the drain plug from the wheel well with 3 feet of extensions and a flex joint like the rest of the meatheads here.  If you have a fine ratchet where the "clicks" aren't too far away just use that and slide your hand right up along the converter when it cools down.  You have to manually index your ratchet to the right spot 3 or 4 times before the 3/8" ratchet will pop into the square drain plug.  Takes a couple of times to perfect it but I bet I can get my PTU plug out in under 1 minute now.  I just use teflon tape instead of goobering it all up with sealer when putting it back in with my bare hand so it's easy to maneuver in your fingertips.  Don't tighten it too tight with the ratchet.  It's not going anywhere.

Big_kat

That's exactly how I did my PTU, it's tight, but doable.
2013 MKS: Unleashed tune, 170 thermostat, 3 bar, JLT catch can, CFM valve cover breather, AD Trans mounts.
2001 F150: 230k boat hauler
1989 GSXR 7/11: way to much to list