• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SCT might have boned me indirectly

Started by TopherSho, March 22, 2021, 02:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Long story really short..

AJPTurbo tunes are about 2 years old.  Was running the last rev without issue. reverting stock == no issues...

Tried a GH tune. It applied but that tune file broke the SCT handheld's flash file system. 

SCT fixes the SCT handheld with a bunch of SCT device firmware updates to handle newer tune files

Thought everything was ok..

Decided to go back to AJPTrubo tune

Revert to stock -  FAILED

--ACC disabled > 'malfunction' on dash
--collision disabled  > 'malfunction' on dash
--Running rich by 10% but no codes
--p1000 DTC   OBD II Monitor Testing Not Complete
--p1639 DTC    Vehicle ID Block Corrupted, Not Programmed
--p163f DTC   Transmission ID Block Corrupted, Not Programmed

Called SCT,  SCT reports 17 other cases with same/or extremely similar errors .. there is a firmware revision for SCT that may help.  we tried .. It did not.

So now im off to get the car flashed by IDS to rewrite the whole unit and cross my fingers.

But after that .. I have a feeling I cannot flash the car any more now that the SCT firmware is modified/updated because any flash back to stock will fail likely again... as a software guy I just cant shake the feeling i'm boned and flashing a tune will be a one way trip.

SCT advised the 2010/2011 Tarsus have a much larger number of flash related issues versus the remaining years.

also of note I have a fellow tuned SHO owner in town who has the EXCAT SAME issues after a GH update.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

bamsho

Very strange indeed.  Wonder if it has to do with all the news about the EPA coming down on everyone.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

SilvererSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on March 22, 2021, 02:58:17 PM

AJPTurbo tunes are about 2 years old.  Was running the last rev without issue. reverting stock == no issues...

Tried a GH tune. It applied but that tune file broke the SCT handheld's flash file system. 

SCT fixes the SCT handheld with a bunch of SCT device firmware updates to handle newer tune files

Called SCT,  SCT reports 17 other cases with same/or extremely similar errors .. there is a firmware revision for SCT that may help.  we tried .. It did not.

So now im off to get the car flashed by IDS to rewrite the whole unit and cross my fingers.

But after that .. I have a feeling I cannot flash the car any more now that the SCT firmware is modified/updated because any flash back to stock will fail likely again... as a software guy I just cant shake the feeling i'm boned and flashing a tune will be a one way trip.

SCT advised the 2010/2011 Tarsus have a much larger number of flash related issues versus the remaining years.

also of note I have a fellow tuned SHO owner in town who has the EXCAT SAME issues after a GH update.

Can you please define "boned" for the class since we're not all software guys? 8)
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

TopherSho

Quote from: SilvererSHO on March 22, 2021, 04:15:22 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on March 22, 2021, 02:58:17 PM

Can you please define "boned" for the class since we're not all software guys? 8)

My fear is for MY car and at least one other Taurus I can see/touch locally .. that now the SCT handheld 4x is updated past 'whatever' was working it will not allow me/us to flash back to stock on 'new tunes' produced on updated ADVANTAGE systems.

What concerns me is the SCT team has not identified the issue.  They are aware it exists, but there is not a fix once the state I am in hits.

Ford will re-apply the full DMKJBLA firmware using IDS tomorrow.  Stay ''tuned'' .... /sad trombone/
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

BlueSHO

Wow, every persons nightmare. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

bamsho

Did they say what years/models  they were having issues with?
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

TopherSho

Quote from: bamsho on March 23, 2021, 08:21:51 AM
Did they say what years/models  they were having issues with?

2010 and 2011 have the largest share of the flash issues.

bamsho

Thanks, I hwve updated tunes from Gearhead coming for my 2016 F150.  Putting on a XDI35 HPFP.

TopherSho

Quote from: bamsho on March 23, 2021, 09:28:52 AM
Thanks, I hwve updated tunes from Gearhead coming for my 2016 F150.  Putting on a XDI35 HPFP.

You should be fine,  you have newer ECU,  MUCH wider supported strategy .. my strategy code has ALWAYS been a f^&#king nightmare.   the ONLY tuner I have never had an issue with is AJPTURBO. 

Admin

@mattr66 might be able to provide some insight here?

mattr66

Quote from: Admin on March 23, 2021, 10:15:32 AM
@mattr66 might be able to provide some insight here?
It has nothing to do with the EPA unless it was the device update that removed egr delete functionality for the diesel tuning from years ago

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Admin

Quote from: TopherSho on March 23, 2021, 09:47:44 AM
Quote from: bamsho on March 23, 2021, 09:28:52 AM

You should be fine,  you have newer ECU,  MUCH wider supported strategy .. my strategy code has ALWAYS been a f^&#king nightmare.   the ONLY tuner I have never had an issue with is AJPTURBO.

So my 2010 had the same strategy code. There were only 3 tuners who were able to get it tuned.. the other tuners had MAJOR issues... Gearhead, AJPTurbo, and LMS were the only three that could actually tune that strategy. Its a PIA for sure, cause even then, there were some interesting characteristics.

TopherSho

130$ for the flash.. fyi .. fingers crossed.. sphincter puckered

Admin

Quote from: TopherSho on March 23, 2021, 10:56:57 AM
130$ for the flash.. fyi .. fingers crossed.. sphincter puckered

Mine as $125, and worked like a champ when I had ford update my strategy. I would make sure to remove the 3BAR and anything else you might have that would cause an issue with the stock tune. Usually its just the 3BAR.

TopherSho

;)  did that last night ... :D hung a note on the mirror with the requested strategy,  talked to the shop manager and pointed them to a previous Ford service ticket when we did this in 2017 :D..

I think that is as covered as I can get .. no more alternative vendors. :P  Back to the last AJPTurbo tune and get the RMA pipes installed and call it good.  sheesh!

1st world issues .... for sure ... but man im annoyed :D