• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Looking for performance shops in the New England area familiar with the Ecoboost

Started by mike2225, March 20, 2021, 01:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike2225

Recently I stripped out 2 of the retaining bolts when trying replace the coils on my 2015 SHO.. I talked with a local mechanic and he gave me 2 options, he said he could jb weld or expoxy a stud in the insert and then use a locking nut on top to hold the coil down or option 2 replace the valve covers.. He suggested I just fix the studs and don't start pulling stuff off the engine to potentially create leaks or other problems, I didnt really like that sugesstion so anyone know a shop that is familiar with SHOs or ecoboost in general?
2015 SHO w/ PP  AJP Turbo 93 tune

Macgyver

How bad are they stripped out ?

Can you at least get the full length of the bolt down ?

Some blue loctite can maybe hold and still be removed as its the least aggressive Loctite ?

Use something similar to Loctite but not as aggressive as JB weld on the OEM bolt.

I may be wrong but its just the coil pack. Its not under a lot of stress. It wont take much to hold the two bolts in place ?

Admin

I would look into a heli-coil. Would solve this issue without having to pull the valve covers.

mike2225

Quote from: Macgyver on March 22, 2021, 12:28:02 AM
How bad are they stripped out ?

Can you at least get the full length of the bolt down ?

Some blue loctite can maybe hold and still be removed as its the least aggressive Loctite ?

Use something similar to Loctite but not as aggressive as JB weld on the OEM bolt.

I may be wrong but its just the coil pack. Its not under a lot of stress. It wont take much to hold the two bolts in place ?
Yeah after talking with the mechanic its something that can be fixed but im just not a fan of temporary fixes. Im looking into someone that can pull the motor and replace anything thats old, worn or leaking. Im in the process of upgrading the turbos and supporting mods and want to make sure the motor is in the best condition before I start adding more power. I know plenty of shops that work on subarus and Hondas but I want someone who is familiar with the sho or ecoboost.

SilvererSHO

Put in a Heli-Coil or Time-Cert.  You'll have much better threads after this is done anyways.  It's done all the time on aerospace and defense parts, not as a fix, as a requirement.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

mike2225

Quote from: SilvererSHO on March 22, 2021, 12:16:04 PM
Put in a Heli-Coil or Time-Cert.  You'll have much better threads after this is done anyways.  It's done all the time on aerospace and defense parts, not as a fix, as a requirement.
Thanks for the tip, its looking like that might be something i do temporarily until i start building this motor.. still need to find a shop who is knows these engines other than Ford dealerships