• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Car runs worse after MSD coils and sparkplug change??

Started by mike2225, March 14, 2021, 01:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike2225

So bad news, while I was removing the front 2 coils both the red clips on the connectors broke and the coil retaining bolts are stripped so looks like the car is going into the shop.
2015 SHO w/ PP  AJP Turbo 93 tune

TopherSho

I never breaks 12.2' timing and runs quite a bit @ 10-11.

STFT looks ok in this run

what bugs me .. is the throttle and the boost.  boost stays pretty high +15lbs over half the run,  and throttle is under 65% for most of the run.

It may be this tune and method of power adding is foreign to me, but in confuzzled by the boost pressure being as high as it is unless the tune is supposed to run much higher than the stock turbos are efficient at.

oh just saw the update ... ballz :(  sorry sir ...
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Just to verify > your tune is set to 20-22+ PSI?

The Hard ask is set for 260 Kpa ,  converted dirty that's (260-100) = 160-ish KPA ..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

mike2225

Quote from: TopherSho on March 18, 2021, 01:21:34 PM
Just to verify > your tune is set to 20-22+ PSI?

The Hard ask is set for 260 Kpa ,  converted dirty that's (260-100) = 160-ish KPA ..

Its been a few years but I believe Brad told me around 13-14 psi was all he could safely tune on the stock map sensor
Edit: the rev 3 attachment is the tune that's been on my car, ill try and pull up more datalogs from the past couple years on my laptop later tonight

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

TopherSho

Quote from: mike2225 on March 18, 2021, 02:20:56 PM
Its been a few years but I believe Brad told me around 13-14 psi was all he could safely tune on the stock map sensor
Edit: the rev 3 attachment is the tune that's been on my car, ill try and pull up more datalogs from the past couple years on my laptop later tonight

I'd ping Brad/AJPTurbo .. here is mine as a basic comparison - revision 32 with meth

The blue Flat line is commanding a hair over 200 kpa;  yours is at 260.. I dont know if he had a different tuning style for your car,  or of you are at a much higher elevation?  but your desired pressure was set to 260.  It would make me want to ask him if thats normal for you when your supposed to be 13-14 psi.

I could be wrong ..  how to upload pictures on internet

mike2225

Whats the best way to test the MSD coils to see if 1 or more are bad before I switch back to stock?

TopherSho

Quote from: mike2225 on March 25, 2021, 06:07:47 PM
Whats the best way to test the MSD coils to see if 1 or more are bad before I switch back to stock?

uuuhhhh ... great question :) I haven't the foggiest.

Admin

Are you CELs that indicate a miss? If so, swap the coil from that cylinder recording the miss to one that isn't. If the CEL follows the coil, its the coil.  That is probably the easiest way to check.

If its not throwing a CEL.. what symptoms are you having that lead you to believe your coilpacks are faulty?

mike2225

Quote from: Admin on March 26, 2021, 11:38:32 AM

Are you CELs that indicate a miss? If so, swap the coil from that cylinder recording the miss to one that isn't. If the CEL follows the coil, its the coil.  That is probably the easiest way to check.

If its not throwing a CEL.. what symptoms are you having that lead you to believe your coilpacks are faulty?
Not throwing any CELs but when I put new sparkplugs and MSD coils on, it runs poorly now .. I tried swapping back to oem coils and stripped out the retaining bolts on 2 of the coils so now I'm stuck at the moment 😑

mike2225

Got some good news to report, the car is back to running normal again. So after talking with my friend, he recommended me to his mechanic that was familiar with Ecoboost engines, mainly the f150 but close enough.. After running his fancy scan tool to see if there were any misfires or hidden codes he found nothing. He pulled one of the coils to see if it would throw a code and it did. After resetting the ecu and clearing the code the car now runs good again.. The only thought I have is, even after having the battery disconnected and doing a KAM reset twice on my SCT X4, the ecu needed to relearn when I switched plugs and MSD coils

TopherSho

Quote from: mike2225 on March 29, 2021, 02:34:02 PM
Got some good news to report, the car is back to running normal again. So after talking with my friend, he recommended me to his mechanic that was familiar with Ecoboost engines, mainly the f150 but close enough.. After running his fancy scan tool to see if there were any misfires or hidden codes he found nothing. He pulled one of the coils to see if it would throw a code and it did. After resetting the ecu and clearing the code the car now runs good again.. The only thought I have is, even after having the battery disconnected and doing a KAM reset twice on my SCT X4, the ecu needed to relearn when I switched plugs and MSD coils

......  wut the actual crap nuggets?  That is super weird.  I did not mention it because I *STILL* cannot fathom why changing the plugs caused my issue but i lost 4 tenths of my 0-60 after swapping plugs to what should be better plugs.  https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,10388.msg158731.html#msg158731

But I had a funky experience until I relearned after a KAM reset. 

okay then ... it is real thing and i am not crazy ..  :P

mike2225

Quote from: TopherSho on March 29, 2021, 06:52:20 PM

......  wut the actual crap nuggets?  That is super weird.  I did not mention it because I *STILL* cannot fathom why changing the plugs caused my issue but i lost 4 tenths of my 0-60 after swapping plugs to what should be better plugs.  https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,10388.msg158731.html#msg158731

Yeah, I saw that thread a few weeks back, which then I did a 2nd KAM reset just to see if it would help and then nothing.. I find it so weird myself, Ive changed the plugs 4 times in 3 years and never did the car react like it did when I changed to those new plugs and the new coils. 

TopherSho

Quote from: mike2225 on March 30, 2021, 09:32:37 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on March 29, 2021, 06:52:20 PM

Yeah, I saw that thread a few weeks back, which then I did a 2nd KAM reset just to see if it would help and then nothing.. I find it so weird myself, Ive changed the plugs 4 times in 3 years and never did the car react like it did when I changed to those new plugs and the new coils.

Yeah it is a x-files moment for sure :D  ...

SHOdded

has the p1000 code cleared after the PCM update? otherwise still in relearn mode, which may provide false assurance.

testing primary and secondary resistance on the coils is usually how the coils are proven out.  of course in operation you also have the heat factor from the engine bay as well as coil firing to account for.
http://www.nicksmustangranch.com/Service_Manuals/2014/2014_Taurus/Service%20Manual.htm

what year is your SHO btw, i don't see info in the signature :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!