• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Specific tune question

Started by Thirstymate, February 27, 2021, 09:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirstymate

I have a 2015 SHO PP w/22k miles. After a lot of reading over the last 4 months I have decided to tune the car. I read one specific thread at some point months ago that I am unable to find again. I do not remember which forum I found it on.

What I am looking for, and maybe I dreamt this post up but I could swear someone had done this ( I even remember the tuner and tool used, but a direct message has provided no response, I assume I am unable to message yet) , is a tune that is only active in sport mode. I do not want a full time remap. When it's time to feed'r the corn I want to put it in sport mode and have the tune active, and to return to stock maps when it is removed from sport. I do not want to have to stop/load/stop/unload

Did I make this whole thing up or is this possible?

Brucelinc

I am not familiar with a tune that has stock mapping in normal drive but modified engine and trans parameters in Sport mode.   I haven't followed the SHO tunes that closely lately so others may shed more light.   However, I am curious why you would want that.    My experience with tuning is that the improvements are quite valuable regardless of trans mode.   I can't imagine why anyone would want or prefer stock.   The only time I ever return to stock is for dealer visits.

Thirstymate

My reason for wanting stock is two part. First, I have not driven a tuned sho yet, maybe it is not as much of a change as I am expecting. With that said, I very much enjoy the stock settings for long highway jaunts. My commute, once a week, is an hour on the highway and I enjoy the stock setup for those rides.

One final reason but one I do not consider foremost as it is more "opinion" and I am sure others will disagree, tuning a vehicle reduces the longevity of it. The detune from ford was to save the drivetrain. The ptu is not well thought-out and failure rate increases as the volume gets turned up.

Macgyver

A tune is comprehensive and will stay on whether in Sport mode or not. You can only have one tune loaded at a time.

A tune is the single best way to make your SHO come alive. Can a tune lessen the life span of some components ? Yes, but so can poor driving habits and poor maintenance.

I had a 2015 tuned for 93, E30, and E85. All had their advantages and disadvantages.

As far as things breaking as you mentioned. I would not worry about the trans and PTU. Just do your due diligence and change their fluids way sooner than later as called for by Ford.

I would just get a 93 tune and you will be smiling ear to ear.

Admin

AJPTurbo had developed a tune for a forum member that did this.

It drove like stock in D but then ran like it was tuned in Sport.

At the end of the day, it's still a tune, but he was able to adjust it so it felt stock in D.

Ping AJPTurbo.

Thirstymate

Ok, I must have read it here. What you are saying makes sense, . That's exactly what I am looking for. I'll send a DM and I know where to find the email everyone recommends. Thanks for the chime.

Admin

Quote from: Thirstymate on February 27, 2021, 05:57:15 PM
Ok, I must have read it here. What you are saying makes sense, . That's exactly what I am looking for. I'll send a DM and I know where to find the email everyone recommends. Thanks for the chime.
Good luck, he hasn't been responding.

BOT_ROCKET

I think you're over-imaginating the affects of the tune, too. If you tell your tuner that you want the car to be faster when you jump on the gas, but still have nice road manners, they can do that. The only thing that would affect it very noticeably when you're cruising would be the throttle mapping. The tuner can remap the relationship between what your foot is doing and what the car thinks you want. Thats what a Pedal Box or Pedal Commander or whatever it's called does, which is why people think it makes their car faster.

I have a buddy with an F150 that he doesn't run the performance tune on because it's too "twitchy." I told him to tell his tuner to dial back the throttle map, but I think he only has canned tunes, so I'm not sure if they'll do it. If you're one of the fortunate few that can get a response out of AJP, he could do it, and would do it well. If you do get ahold of him, tell him I miss him and want him back. :(  (no offense, Lee)
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH

Brucelinc

A good tune is great for long highway cruises.   When cruising, there is no boost being applied and no reason to think additional stress is being put on anything.  The typical advanced timing improves highway fuel mileage.   The extra performance is controlled 100% by one's pressure on the accelerator.

One thing that I liked about AJPturbo's tune was that at light or "normal" throttle, the transmission shifts are just like stock...you hardly feel them.   However, at heavy throttle, the shifts are very quick and nicely firm....WAY better than stock.   

Thirstymate

Bot-rocket and brucelink.
Both of you make good points. I have never had a tuned vehicle before, so I likely am over-imagining the gains. And the metering of input makes sense as well. This is helping to round my knowledge prior to the decision. Thanks for the input.